Can You Suggest A Technique?

I always have trouble with the same type of section. Imagine a section where you head up a loose, sandy, slope and have to turn to then ride across the slope.

When I do this I usually end up with my front wheel slipping back down the slope taking me outside the next set of flags!

Can anyone suggest a technique for address this?

• 2 weeks later...

Some amateur advice :)

If its a shortish slope on a slight uphill, try get your momentum up before the slope, then coast it.

If its on a slight downhill, also try coast it.

Your front will only slip downhill if you are give too much front brake or if your weight is on the up side of the bank. If your body position is right and you avoid the front brake, you wont slip. Likewise, the back will only slip if too much rear brake is used or too much throttle, and if your body position is wrong of course.

Hence my tactic....use throttle before and not during a camberd slope, using the right amount of momentum will eliminate screwing up via throttle or brake, front or back. This only works on short sections.

Longer sections, use a higher gear than you think you need and be very gentle and smooth on all controls.

If that makes sense ;)

• 1 month later...

old topic, but i'm wondering if another tip might be to lower the front tire pressure slightly? the trials dvd i'm working my way through suggests 0.5 psi up or down on the front depending on conditions... could this be a situation where a slightly bigger footprint up front is going to make a difference?

i was taught to ride it the way a road racer would, lean bike out away from the camber with all the weight on the inside peg. it lets the bike stand up straighter and keeps more of the contact patch of the tire on the ground, if you lean the bike into the camber you only ride on the tire edge not the whole tire. it takes some practice but i find it wrks very well. also look at your target / destination while riding.

rob