4Rt New 260 - Who's Got One?

johnnyboxer

Hey Dado and jj . Thanks for that . Bought it from Craigs m/cycles in Dewsbury Yorkshireville. Had to fight my way over the border over them there hill's but got in and out safely.

The young guy there called Andy,the parts guy,sure i've seen him at Backcowm,he really like's the standard 4rt and said i wouldn't regret buying it.

Can't wait to get out on it but need's setting up .Reading the manual from cover to cover first.Whats the Dunlops like compared to the Mitchellins ?

The robustness of the thing is amazing.

Any way that's me away Sunday A.M for 3 week's and tied up till then.

See you guy's out and about maybe .

Shy T

Edited by shyted
  • Like 1

Its some time since I rode on a Dunlop. I felt it had a bit less grip especially when worn as compared to a Michelin X11 but it was marginal and may have been more to do with familiarity or confidence.

Everybody loves their new bike. But given you are yet to ride it let alone crash it how can you describe the robustness as amazing ?

Answer = I looked at it and it didn't break. Unlike my 2013 GasGas which did !

O.k maybe i should re phrase and say it looks robust and amazing.

Anyhow , not that it's rare or anything although it maybe in two years as Montesa don't exist anymore.Can see it now can't you,"last of the Montesa's,appreciating classic"

Sorry that's a joke.

Edited by shyted
  • Like 1

jj65. Do you have to do a remap to fit the termi pipe? Can you tell you've shed the weight?

No and not really, it's about 1kg less but you don't really feel it. Termi is actually quieter than the original, but sounds nice, even the stink bomb riders like it.

If anyone is after a Termi, get it from Brian at BR SPECIAL TUNING LIMITED , he's great to deal with, unlike the experience I had with a certain Italian company that starts with Red ...... ....., don't go there, you'll regret it :0(

Thanks for that info jj.

Ted

Tagged onto the message above this , doe's the sprockets from Yr 2012/13 Monts fit the new 4rt or are they a model specific fit ?

If so where you getting them as i've looked but obviously not hard enough!

Edited by shyted

• 2 weeks later...

Ok then . finally got out on the new bike today.Back to back comparison to the Gas Gas Pro i changed from . The TXT is a brill bike to ride ,light easy to turn and handle , good power and suspension . Good balance right from the off.

Stood there warming the Mont up and i was thinking " this could be hard work".

The suspension is in standard set up while i run it in and wasn't as bouncy as the Gasser but it need's setting up front and back after running in. Felt a bit awkward at first,didn't have that jump on and ride feel.So i just rode around for an hour and used all the gears and did some gentle breaking . Let it cool for a bit and started gawping around. There's a few rock steps and a plinth with a bolder the half size of me so i thought let's see if it can take this lot on . Hit it with the back wheel and then i was over the lot landing with a thud at the other side.But without a doubt the bike revealed it's quality of drive on a loose steep hill with rock jutting through. I rode up from a ridiculously low rev crawl in 2nd and just crawled up.

When i came down . i was stopped 20ft from the bottom just balancing and did a 180 turn in 2nd and powered up ,changing rout up the way. Didn't spin out or falter and i was laughing to my self ,carried on messing like that for age's and the noticed the crowd of Enduro riders watching me so i fecked off only to rip a hole in the back tyre.

End of play. so i'm queuing to wash my bike at the power washer and a guy walks up and say's " we were taking bet's weather you would get up that hill going so slow " . Well do you know what it was easy and i'm well pleased with the bike . started to find the weight no disadvantage . Can't Waite to get out again,a feeling i regrettably didn't get from my Gas Gas.

Ted .

Edited by shyted
  • Like 3

Just had a go on my mates new standard 260, lovely bike. Not quite as grunty as my '12 280 but certainly a lot more lively than the 250's. (I don't know how people ride them) suspension I find more bouncy up front than my showa forks.

Otherwise it's a fabulous machine, looks really well, rides nicely and it's a mont.... Enough said :)

In addition to the last post i made ,i've done my first trial on the Mont.

Did the easy rout for the sake of not thrashing the motor as it's just about getting run in.

At first i didn't get on with it ,but by lap three i stopped dropping those stupid 1's .Did that lap for 8 owing to the magnetic kill switch i installed getting ripped off by a branch and of coarse doing it's job of stopping the bike dead .

Did the last lap for 2 dabs .

grip wise the rear Dunlop is fine ,but i don't like the front one , prefer the Michelin .

The bike just laughs at Mud banking's like they aren't there .

Steers well on the rocks to the point of me making fook ups because i expected it to slide and tensed up instead of letting it roll.That's why i prefer the Michelin too , more predictable .

At a bit of an odds with the gearing though .

Stating to find my balance a bit on it now too.

This morning though,it's there shining as though it's never been out , nothing broken , no dripping . The only thing i need to do is put the chain up a notch , and it ran faultless and could have done the trial on one tank of fuel . Just did a small top up as i didn't fancy a push back , just to prove a point.

So i'm happy with the bike , just need to work more on my self so i can bully it around some more .

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...