Ossa Explorer 2014

lotus54

I just received my new OSSA explorer! first 2014 in the country!

Great looking bike, lots of interesting and neat details.

Once I was told how to use the 'easy start' it fires right up.

Air filter is really easy to service, good access for most stuff from what I ca see. I like the under seat storage and simple key remove seat.

Clutch felt great, brakes work well with lots of feel. Seems very smooth progressive power.

I have ridden it much yet, so I'll tell more later.

I'll have to raise the bars for the riding I'm doing with it (standing all day)- but everything else feels pretty darn good.

I'll post up some reviews as I get some time on it.

33c190a3ac62226b7b03d2e7b802a66a_zps576febb0.jpg

0ea87d32f886a7d5803ecaf9745f4622_zps9ac6bf69.jpg

40b339b7717c8b3d23160087e101f9d2_zpsa8b69501.jpg

134d03a873e96c4b8d27c7fe65a534b6_zpsc37eefd1.jpg

• Like 1

Yes they are great bikes!! Had one for 8 months now.

BUT do yourself a big favour take the grab rail off the rear mudguard.

Your first steep drop, lean back, hit a lump & your wedding tackle will be removed!!!

Trust me I know... said in a very high pitch voice.

LOONAL

• Like 1

The easy start is used by pushing the kill button and releasing. The. Kicking within 30 seconds. This charges a cap to assist starting. Seems to work quite well. Before I knew about it it was much harder to start.

Yes, I'm pulling that grab bar right away- the passenger pegs also.

I'll put a soft strap on it instead.

The latest model Ossa 280i trials I rode recently had two red buttons on the bars, one for starting and one for stopping.

It started very easily. Push button, no throttle, kick, off you go. I tried it round the garden, just wearing trainers, and it was just as easy to start, it fired first time on each attempt. This latest bike (and latest mapping) felt a bit more powerful too, a bit more like a bigger Gasser, still smooth though.

First break-in ride.

I took it out on some local trails to break it in a bit and try it out. Just trail riding.

Of course the bike felt very 'trials like' which makes sense. Steep, quick steering, minimal suspension. (Although worked wel) gaps to upper gears.

Clutch and brakes have great feel, engine ran perfectly cold to hot. Very smooth, predictable power- very controllable.

I have to get into the mode of riding this type setup on the trail,I've been riding a KTM 300 XCW set up for woods (Rekluse, LHRB, tons of bottom end, very low pressure mich trials tyres etc)- and of course it is much quicker. But if not TOO rough I think the Explorer will move along quite well.

Things I like.

Super light, responsive

Great power and control

With bar risers, comfortable for all day standing.

What I don't like.

Gas cap is small and leaks

Pirelli tryes don't have the grip of the Michelins

Have have to learn how to use a clutch! (And foot brake)

The foot brake does have much, much better feel than the one on my KTM, but still nothing like the Left hand rear brake. Of course, without an auto clutch using the LHRB all the time is rather difficult.

I've figured how to use the Rekluse and still keep very good control- using brakes to slip the clutch. But of course the 300 has a lot more power, plus the manual clutch still has more total control I think.

I need to lean to slip the clutch for nasty, long hills- since I'm used to just having he Rekluse do it.

It was harder for me to climb some really muddy, slick, long hills than my KTM . But I'm sure part of that are the tyres and the rest is leaning the balance on this bike (I've got a lot of hours on the KTM) and more time with clutch.

Overall I really like it and should be great fun for the tight mountain trails I like so much. Having a seat is nice for when I get out of shape and revert to sitting, or the ruts are so deep that there is no way to keep feet on the pegs.

Seat heigh is much lower than the KTM, but still a very comfortable position to sit.

The bar risers gave a lot better standing all day position for me, although I'm sure I loose a bit of control- but my neck would ache after all day with the stock setup.

Here are a couple of videos.

First is just walking around it, second is just cruising along an easy trail.

Edited by lotus54
  • Like 1

I have also just received a new 2014 Explorer and the bike is excellent to ride BUT The bike is exceedingly difficult to start from cold - I use the stop button as instructed and leave the throttle alone but this does not make any difference .

If any one has other information it would be greatly appreciated @ the moment I am seriously disappointed

Many thanks for your help

Press the stop button for 30 seconds

This is not listed anywhere but is now a new instruction and has solved the problem of starting when cold -

Press it FOR 30 seconds?

Hmm, they just told me to press and release, then start within 30 seconds.

I'll have to try holding it also.

Edited by lotus54

Ok The first time I tried the 30 second hold of the stop button it seemed to help now it is back to serious kicking to get the bike to start

Surely this cannot be correct ! I have made a serious error in buying this bike and if things do not improve it will be delivered back as not fit for purpose

Please let me know if your bike is ok or there is a trick start procedure

My bike starts from cold 2-3 kicks.

I have the lights off, key on and press the. Kill button for about a second, then release.

Promptly kick the bike and it starts right up.

I understand mine started 2nd kick out of the the crate from Spain.

If you sand on something it is easier to give a good kick- I do it like I did on my old GasGas. Take the slack up, then briskly kick it.

NO TROTTLE.

I understand if it gets flooded you can hold the throttle open and it shuts down the injection, but I have just heard they third hand.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi lotus, I am curious how the capacitor gets charged, is there a battery pack connected that charges the capacitor when pressed? If so, is it a 9 or 12 v battery and is it rechargeable as part of the running system or does it have to be replaced? I am trying to investigate to help out a couple of other owners (and myself) who have issues sometimes starting their trials bikes. I do not think the standalone part is available yet from dealers so would be interested in the tech details how it works to try to make one, any pointers would be much appreciated

I believe on the new bikes with easy start it is a small lithium batt that is charged by the alternator.

For the Explorer, pressing the kill button charges the capacitor (start within 30 seconds).

No 9v batt on the new bikes.

I send a PM, but will try to get more info together and send/post.

Mark

Edited by lotus54