Easy To Start Trials Bikes?

bigbird2

I am interested in getting a used modern trials bike but am concerned that some of them may not be easy for an OLD guy like me to start - particularly when I'm tired and the bike has been dropped, etc. I have e-start on my trail and enduro bikes for this reason.

I recently saw a 2008 Beta 270 Rev 3 for sale that sounded reasonable. I asked a friend that has a bike like that about it and he told me it is rather difficult to kick start - short kick lever requiring lots of force to spin the motor.

So my question is what brands and models of used trials bikes are the EASIEST to start, hot or cold?

My preference is for a 2 stroke due to the lighter weight, etc. but would consider a 4 stroke if there are no easy starting 2 strokes.

THANKS for any help on this.

Scorpa 125 4-stroke, you can start them with your hand when you're on the wrong side of the bike on a camber. Don't think there's many you could do that with.

The Betas are a left foot kicker which some can find awkward.

True, though I don't find that a problem, I must admit that if I'm approaching the bike to start it after looking at a section I am just as likely to use my right foot but use my left if I'm astride it having been in a queue so I wouldn't let that put you off. Thousands of Bultaco riders can't have been wrong!

• Like 1

True, though I don't find that a problem, I must admit that if I'm approaching the bike to start it after looking at a section I am just as likely to use my right foot but use my left if I'm astride it having been in a queue so I wouldn't let that put you off. Thousands of Bultaco riders can't have been wrong!

True! Humans are marvelously adaptable!

Having had a right-side knee replacement in January, I'm as likely to start my Gas Gas with my left foot as my right. I've put the S3 "Low Compression head insert" on my 280 to help with starting it, but my rt. knee still gets fairly sore at the end of a day's event, from starting the bike.....

I've got friends that have allowed me to start & ride their late model (or new) Sherco & Beta. Personally, I feel both of these bikes start considerably easier than my Gas Gas, regardless of which leg I use. And I do try them with each leg, as I will probably need a new left-side knee in a couple of years......I'm beginning to look seriously at the Gas Gas Electric model, if available here in the States, just so I can continue to ride into my 60s......

Jimmie.

Edited by mr neutron
  • Like 1

Thanks for all the replies! It seems that most are recommending the smaller displacement 2ts and that may indeed be my best bet.

However, I was wondering if there are any particular brand or model ~ 250cc 2ts that are generally easier to kick than others due to things like lever length, placement, gear reduction, etc? Also how about things like a compression release (like I had many years ago on my 1970s 2ts (when they didn't have good waterproof brakes)?

Again all ideas appreciated.

Technique goes a long way - I never have a problem starting my 280 Gas 99% of the time 1st kick

But a small displacement would make it easier Daughter has a 125 Gas Gas that starts by breathing on the kickstart (slight exageration :) )

Or the 4stroke Beta is a doddle to kick

Ive just started riding a 13 evo 300 and as dan says, it does take a bit more effort, compared to my 07 rev 270.

However, our south african beta importer is 69 years yound and rides a 13 evo 300 factory in intermediates. And hes far from the bottom of the pack. What he, and most seem to do is stand up on the kick start, right leg off ground, and drop his whole body weight down on the starter.

The 13 does take more of a kick but the bike does start on the first kick almost all of the time.