Ty175 Electronic Ignition

owen

I've witnessed the John Cane type (on one of my TY175s) and the Electrix type (on a friend's TY175) and they both work well. The only negative I have seen is that the Electrix one uses a very long HT lead because the HT coil is located down beside the airbox

My recommendation? Stick with the points. I purchased a TY and the ignition was troublesome due to breakdown of the LT coil. I got it rewound in modern material and a couple of other tidy up jobs for £60 all in so I now have an absolutely reliable system that can be tweaked should the need ever arise. I've seen too many twinshock TYs with deceased electronic ignition (four in one event) to want to take a £200 gamble - it can be a long push. The standard system was very well regarded in its day and is no less good now if any problems of ageing are sorted out.

Edited by 2stroke4stroke

Hi

I built my TY up from a basket case and ran points for a year but it seemed to lack that instant power so I invested my £199.00 at TY Trials (John Cane) and it was the best money I spent . This was 5 years ago and the bike has not missed a beat and it pulls like a different bike now. John Cane has upgraded his ignition now as I have the early one but it is easy to fit and works great. I know that if it goes its another £200 but that is just sods law.

It all depends how much you ride the bike to get your moneys worth I ride mine as much as I can and I have had my fun.

Quality aside (and I have no experience of either system mentioned) ask the suppliers for an ignition advance curve graph. Some ignitions have no advance and will give soft / less power. Some have quite a few degrees advance just over tickover and will give much more torque in this RMP range than fixed timing. Some have retarded timing at very low RPM which makes stalling and kickback on starting less likely

• 2 weeks later...

whatever you want. Fixed points timing is set as a compromise for low and high rev operation.

If you want to set you electronic ignition for the smoothest and most reliable response at low revs, set the timing to be a bit later than standard fixed setting at low RPM. If you want to maximise top end power, set the timing with the low RPM setting at the standard fixed setting. It really is something you should play around with until you are happy with how your motor runs for the way you like it.