Montesa 314R Overheatinng

declan1999

My 314r's fan never came on by itself but when i flicked it, it would spin but it still over heated, so i thought the fan wasn't spinning fast enough because i couldn't hear it when it was on. so i looked for the thermostat and the wires had been cut.

post-18749-0-81628400-1382387399_thumb.jpg

I noticed one wire was green and one was black with a blue stripe, but i also found two other wires, one was green and and one was black with a blue stripe.

post-18749-0-81628400-1382387399_thumb.jpg

So i connected the two black ones and two green ones and put water back in it, then started it up and waited for it to get warm but the fan never came on so i tried disconnecting the wires again and flicking it but it wouldn't work that way either.

I don't know alot about electrics.

So does anyone know what i've done wrong or suggest anything?

remove tank and make sure it hasnt had an inline thermo switch fitted , if you were to join the wires up that go to this switch the fan should come on if not theres another problem , try putting 12v neg and pos to the fan to see if it works ok also see if you can find a montesa wiring diagram on the net to down load if you cant find 1 there is gas gas ones that will give you an idea but if you have no idea with electrics id get someone else to look ,but removing tank should give a better view of parts

It looks like someone has cut the cable where the wires come from the harness to the thermoswitch. Normally the wire ends coming from the harness would then be joined to make the fan run constantly.

The thermoswitch is just a switch like a lightswitch in a house, it opens and closes at preset temperatures to stop and start the fan.

Sorry about the pictures the second one was meat to be a different picture.

post-18749-0-64929200-1383171102_thumb.jpg

The white plug is connected to a black with blue stripe wire and a green wire, and the red plug is connected to a black wire and a green wire.

When i put water back in and connected the thermostat wires to the white plug and let the engine warm up nothing happened and same with the red plug.

Then i looked on youtube for ways to test if your thermostat works and a guy said use a paper clip and make a connection between the two prongs inside the plug that your thermostat would connect to and see if your fan comes on, so i tried it with the white plug and nothing happened so i flicked the fan and it spun.

So does this mean the thermostat in faulty and maybe the fan because i had to flick it?

thanks

I believe your fan motor is toast. On a 315 Monty I owned it did exactly the same, fan wouldn't come on always on its own. But with a flick it would come on. I replaced the fan and it worked as designed. The cut wires are a separate issue I think.