Over Training?

mokwepa

Is there such a thing?

Im trying to train often, ie 4-5 times a week. Am I over doing it?

Reason im asking is my body is taking strain....elbow issue, sore arms etc.

Would I be better off doing less or should I push through untill the body adapts?

Is there such a thing?

Im trying to train often, ie 4-5 times a week. Am I over doing it?

Reason im asking is my body is taking strain....elbow issue, sore arms etc.

Would I be better off doing less or should I push through untill the body adapts?

Yes you're over training. Pushing through it will lead to adaption in someway, most likely injury that necessitates a longer break to recover. Training is about cycles of overload and recovery, during the overload phase we break the body, muscle tissue etc down (catabolic phase). The rest period is where we move into the anabolic phase in which we rebuild and repair (hopefully stronger) ready for the next training session.

I'm the exact same. Made a return after a lot of years off and have developed tennis elbow in both arms, can hardly pick up a cup some days! I bought a flexibar that specifically facilitates eccentric loading and stretching of the affected tendons in each arm but have just started using it. Some say rest which I tend to agree with in most cases but a lot of advice I 've seen on T/E suggests eccentric stretching/loading as many have rested to return to their given sport with the pain still afflicting them. Never experienced T/E riding trials the first time.

In the head yes but the body is starting to disagree.

Would it be better for the body training little bits often or training lots/longer and less often (ie: hour a day or 3-4 hours twice a week)?

Depends on how quickly you suffer from pain soreness. If it's really bad start of with small amounts and then train again when your pain free. Once your pain free add in some structure

Apart from bikes, rock climbing is my other passion and I became fanatical about training for this. The intense regime I adopted wasn't particulary successful (climbing hard rock is mainly a 'head' game) and and the end result was getting tennis elbow (being an 'old git' this was to be expected I suppose!) This is what brought me back into Trials as I thought it would give my upper limbs some respite. It's getting much better after 9 months but I found wearing a compression brace very effective. You can buy them in Boots made out of neoprene but it wasn't quite as comfy as the one I blagged from the local Orthopaedic Hospital.

Have a word with your GP (if they are familiar with Sport injuries) and ask about anti inflamatories.

I was also a climber for a few years and worked at the sa climbing gym. Never suffered any injury training but then again it was 15 odd years ago. I get overly obsessed with my hobbies and cannot cope with being a novice, hence all the training. Im climbing the ladder fast but I guess im not as fit and agile as I used to be.

Out of curiosity, how long have some of y'all had the symptoms of Tennis Elbow (T/E)??? For those who have gotten over it, how long did it take?

My own case of it has been bothering me since June or July, and it seems to be getting no better at all. Then again, I'm not being too good about icing it, taking anti-inflamms, & etc......

Jimmie

About 9 or 10 months for this last time. I don't remember how long the time before that but at least 6 months. (Same elbow). It's kinda weird because for a long time it just hurt, and then only hurt when picking something up etc... then one day I realized "hey, my elbow feels almost normal again"