2014 Fuel Tap Fell Off

bigfoot

Can anyone help with my fuel tap problem?

The tap just came off in my hand while turning the fuel off. I can't see what was holding it in or hold to refit it. It just pushes in and falls back out again. I'm missing something I know, I just dont know what. Has anyone else experianced this on a 2014 bike with the plastic tank?

post-25-0-76403300-1383930690_thumb.jpg

Its not a bayonet. If you look closely there's no space below the bayonet looking bits. The recess is an exactly mirror of the tap part. It fits perfectly but drops out straight away. I imagine only someone else who this has happened to is going to be able to explain it. I'll call GG on Monday if I can't get it worked out before then. It's a 250 Pro 2014 model with the new plastic tank.

looks like something sherco would of come up with ,but this is how modern parts are been made (crap) it looks like ther should be some housing maybe glued to the tank that it pushes into ,it looks like theres glue further up where its been glued in or is it 2 black seals if so then they need to fit into something that isnt there anymore

I pushed it back in hard enough to deform the bottom of the tank (it's very thin plastic) and it sort of clipped back in. On seals no clips nothing! It held fuel ok but I've taken it off again (very easy to do and could be done by mistake) and glued it in place to with sealer that is OK with petrol. I'd recommend anyone with one of these tanks tank the tank off and put some good strong sealer like liquid metal round the joint so your doesn't come off in the first place. Not a great design I'm afraid. I can't see this making it through to the 2015 models.

Looks as if there may be an O ring missing from the groove in the tap. But it is difficult to tell from the photo if there is a recess in the tank for it to snap into.

The tank plastic looks like polyethylene and it is very difficult to get anything to stick to this.