How Long Before The Penny Drops For Rossi?

colinf

When is he going to face the fact that he just isn't as fast as the top three now? Adding JB to his list of excuses really sucks,i don't believe he would have had exactly the same success over the years without him.Has anyone mentioned a replacement? If he goes into the tests following this weekend without a race engineer who understands the bike then surely he's already compromising his 2014 season.Stoner went to early,Rossi's going to hang on too long when he should've gone out on top.

• Like 3

Why should he go?

Would you if you got paid millions to ride the best bikes in the world?

He clearly still enjoys riding and Yamaha still want him.

He has just committed to the VR46 racing academy to develop young riders for the future so he is also putting something back into the sport.

How about getting rid of Danny Pedrosa, He is so boring.

TLTEL

• Like 4

I found it a bit distasteful that dropping Burgess had been revealed to the Italian press before Burgess himself was told.

There is probably more to this that we will know for a long time, if ever. VR is not known as the GOAT without good reason and he will have analysed what he feels he needs to do to improve. To stand a chance at VRs level of racing a rider has to be at one withe the bike and have complete confidence in it. JB failed to sort the Ducati and this must have dented VRs confidence.

• Like 2

Well there's are 3 reasons to have a rider on a team

1) He wins races and therefore sells bikes for the manufacturer

2) He makes people watch races and therefore sells bikes for the manufacturer

3) He is a development rider and excels at making the bikes better, makes the fast guy faster

And perhaps a 4th, he brings major sponsors to the team, if he leaves maybe the guy with the checkbook leaves too

Look at motocross, how did Kevin Wyndham stay in his position as long as he did

Not cuz he dominated the podium

For no others reason than the fans loved the guy, he was good for the team and Honda in general

• Like 1

Hello dodof2.Hows things?

A tangled web of politics no doubt ! Rossi has a winning streak in him and is fiersly competative .

Without a doubt he knows he 's not the fastest,or as fast as the younger lads, hence his comment " the sharks smell blood and they're comming ", but that does not stop you winning races or championships.

He has an ambition to get those final championships or G.P wins ,can't remember which, to put him on par with Agostini.

Look at Rossi's character! Larger than life ! Marques ,Pedrosa ,and to an exstent Lorrenzo.As bland as white bread,corporate hush surrounds them and who's been the person they've imatated, Rossi !

How many fans wrote Carl Foggarty off when he went to Honda ? After all,the biggest motorcycle cartel in the world had to do something to stop him.

Control ,control .Thats why Rossi left them .He will have his reasons ,i agree.

Edited by shyted

I don't doubt Rossi could win a few more races but he hasn't got a hope of another championship unless the three remaining aliens have injury problems in the same season.Thought the BBC coverage looking back at Rossi's career was a bit rose tinted, it jumped from the last win on the Yamaha (1st time round) to him being "back on top" with his one win this year! What happened to his stint on those red bikes?.....Matt Roberts was very gentle on him when he could have asked some much tougher questions,it's not like he's going to be talking to him much next year anyway.Roll on testing.....

Rossi comes from a different era - the pre traction control era - remove that little gadget and he may once more be unbeatable.

I think VR can go faster, I don't think he wanted to push too hard this year as he probably knew he could not beat Lorenzo imediately on his return to Yamaha.

Roll on next year

He had traction control on his 990 Honda before anyone else. Burgess said that Rossi's first comment about it was 'this is cheating'. They also had early traction control on the NSR500, first tried out in Doohan's day along with anti-wheelie and active suspension.

When he was winning his first championships, all of his opposition were 30+. He's now in the same position and the opposition is just faster.

Watched the Valencia race today . Bearing in mind whats gone on during the last three seasons . I've said this before on here , theres something not right in the Rossi camp. I think he still wants to win and stand by what i said earlier as regard to his competitive spirit.

He's still a top five finisher and nearly always top ten .To think in quallifying he was 300ths of the polesetters pace .Can't call that slow.Not as quick but Lorrenzoes bike slower than the Hondas of both Pedrosas old bike and Marquezes new V5. Rossi was there with them probably on a bike that now gets lesser stuff than Lorenzo and maybe Geramy Burgess don't or can't get the same treatment as he did from Yamaha before . Japs are funny buggers when you've stuck one up there hoop and maybe they know they've more milage from Lorenzo so have stuck it back up the hoop of Rossi and his team. Compound all that to his age and maybe there's an answer.

Just don't understand why Cal Cruchlow has gone to Ducati (cash being the only thing )as he beats them regularly on a satalite bike .

I think Cal has gone to Ducati because there was nowhere else to go and it is reputed to be well paid. Manufacturers sucess tends to go in cycles and it may be Ducati's turn next.

Audi (who now own Ducati) will have more direct influence and will get rid of some of the traditional design elements that may be holding Ducati back.

As I said - Roll on next year - it could be vintage.

Anyone see BBC 4s programme on the NW 200 last week - Sammy Miller beat Mike Hailwood.

I don't know if there was a ride at Yamaha for Cal Crutchlow or not, but if he left Yamaha with a contract on the table to go and ride that tank he has commited career suicide. If on the other hand there was nothing else on offer he had no choice, either way his motogp career is over.

• Like 2

If he'd stayed at Tech3, Yamaha wouldn't give him the full spec bike he wanted. There was no room in the full factory squad and even if Rossi leaves at the end of 2014, Espargaro is waiting to take the place.

He wanted a factory bike, he couldn't have one with Yamaha, he wasn't going to win a race on the Tech3 without a huge slice of luck. He may not win a race with Ducati but he has a factory ride and an opportunity to help with the development of a new bike.

He's no worse off in terms of race winning opportunities but he's a lot better off financially. And there's always the chance that Ducati may create a front runner again.

Hello woody and Eddie. Real vallid points them.Be a massive turnaround for Ducati if they pushed Yamaha and Honda.

Eddies comment made me laugh and agree with it . Should Rossi have a turn around i think he might be in the run for the championship but also think the bone sticking out of his leg incident dented that dominance no one could penetrate .

If he ended his carrier finishing in the top three, i think ,bearing in mind the ball's out quallity of riders he's up against,well thats not to shabby at all.

Maybe then he will grow a brain and come to trials! What say you !