Learning To Wheelie Consistently

I know this subject has probably been discussed many times before, however i would like to put forward my observations on technique. Through forums etc i have been instructed to drop the knees forward to compress the front forks, and then to gently pull on the bars while transferring the weight over the back of the bike by straightening the knees. While gently pulling on the bars i find myself pulling myself forwards which is exactly the opposite to what i am trying to acheive. If however, i PUSH against the bars while straightening the knees my weight will automatically be transferred to the back of the bike.

Sounds like you are trying to pull the bike up with your elbows which is not transferring your weight by decompressing the fork

After you knee bend and compress the forks you let your arms straighten when you move back

You barely need any throttle at all when you do it

It gets hard when you are doing this into a log or rock step cuz it puts step after step after step In rapid succession

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

pegs, got it. i'll have a bit of practice on that then.

found the fourth gear ones easy for a fair distance but having to learn to cover the rear brake fast on a two stroke, i've only ever ridden 4T dirt bikes so always used the engine brake to sit around the balance point!

I kinda think it's not a worthless talent, it's all part of learning and feeling the balance point, how to put it there and not go too far, how to feel the bike react to throttle and weight placement

And ....it kelps you maybe react properly when it all goes wrong

And let's not forget that the CDI factor is high (Chicks Dig It), I think a wheely is about an 8.5, a stoppie is slightly higher

• Like 1

Reminds me of my youth ... When I was a kid , my big brother spent about 60% of his riding time on the back wheel , He could ride wheelies indefinitely !, around in circles big or small , figure 8's , whatever wherever whenever at will .... I could always wheelie pretty good but nothing like him , to me the wheelie was always a tool , he just seemed to get a kick out of people's reaction ! And he was always laughing when he was doing it ...!

He lives out in Oregon now , has a gas gas and a couple of TL125's to go along with his big dual sport bikes . I've got to get him here or go out there for a visit , we haven't gone riding together for at least 30 yrs . We always pushed each other and had fun ...:)

Glenn

• Like 2

I kinda think it's not a worthless talent, it's all part of learning and feeling the balance point, how to put it there and not go too far, how to feel the bike react to throttle and weight placement

And ....it kelps you maybe react properly when it all goes wrong

And let's not forget that the CDI factor is high (Chicks Dig It), I think a wheely is about an 8.5, a stoppie is slightly higher

Oh, I always loved the wheelies. I`ve been in trouble many times for my antics. Just think the sit down wheelie on the modern cheaply built bikes is a waste.