1980 349 Kicks Out Of Gear

ss426a

when lugging around in 1st gear every now and then it kicks out of gear for no reason i am new to trials and when it happens with my lack of ability can you say like monkey on a football i need no more distractions

LOL do i need to adjust something ...thanks

it helps to let the clutch partially engage a few times while you are holding the shift lever down (with the motor running).

If it didn't go into gear fully before you do this, you should be able to feel and hear it going in fully by doing this. If it did go in fully the first time, there will be no extra clunk when you do this.

• Like 1

I've never had a 349, but on a 200 and 242 there is a little pin that holds the selector on to the gear. This pin would wear flat (almost like it was designed to be flat) and give enough play when the bike is under stress to drop out of gear. It's most disconcerting when in third going up a hill climb.

I got a hand full of the pins for something like £5 and replaced them every time I took the engine casing off when I was changing the oil.

• Like 1