Gasgas Raga Clutch Gone Solid

mossi10

My bike is a gasgas raga 2011 300cc and the problem is the clutch has suddenly gone solid.

I've never changed the oil since I've bought this bike and the oil level was way to slow so I decided to drain it and replace it with castoril ATF dex ii.

I didn't start the engine before I drained it but I'm sure I got all the old oil out and I have put less than enough of the new oil in and then decided to feel the clutch lever and it was just solid.

Can anyone help? By the way, the clutch was in great condition before I changed the oil and the lever wasn't hard at all.

Thanks!

When you say solid - do you mean that you start to pull in the clutch lever and it suddenly stops hard? If so, the center clutch retaining bolt has probably backed out and is limiting slave travel. If not, I dont understand what you mean.

Ive never had a problem after fettling any bike that wasn't related to something Ive done wrong. However for the lever action to change without even running the bike is a mystery, and difficult to diagnose without being there.

Run us through exactly what you did, please.

where are you btw?

Ive never had a problem after fettling any bike that wasn't related to something Ive done wrong. However for the lever action to change without even running the bike is a mystery, and difficult to diagnose without being there.

Run us through exactly what you did, please.

where are you btw?

Hi, I'm in Wigan, near manchester.

The first thing I did was notice the oil level was way to low, I couldn't even see oil through the glass that you can see through. It did ride perfect but I decided to change the oil.

The new oil is castrol ATF dex ii multivehicle.

While the bike was cold, I removed the kick start lever and loosened each screw on the cover until the oil started to leak out. Once it had nearly stopped, I removed the cover and cleaned up as much oil as possible.

I did nothing to the clutch lever while doing this. I did feel the clutch and wobbled them flat plated that are in the centre (don't ask why) and then I made sure the gasket was dry and tightened the cover back into position. I then places 300ml slowly inside using a funnel. Then I felt the clutch lever and it was absolutely solid. I put the screw back on wher you put the oil in and felt the clutch again.

I've not started it up but played with the kick start and the clutch is still solid. While I apply abit of pressure on the clutch lever, I slowly pressed the kick start down and the lever actually moves in slightly but is still very stiff.

Hope that is better because I have no idea what to do!

Thanks!

So you drained the gear oil by taking the casing off?

Never heard of doing that before as there is a drain plug underneath your bike...

As for the stiff clutch, nothing what you do to drain the oil should affect your clutch. If you have been taking bits of the bike apart just to drain the oil then I'm guessing something somewhere has come loose or you have not put something back.

I think you have misunderstood how to change oil on a bike though :/

Underneath your bike is a bolt, 10mm or 11mm if I remember correctly, could be wrong. Undo that and let the oil drain out, instead of taking off the casing.

Hi. You need to remove the cover again. Check that the release bearing is sat correctly on the slave cylinder top hat. I missed mine, pulled the lever and smashed it to bits. You could be lucky! also check that the small washer was on the kick start shaft.

Next time use the drain bung underneath with a 5mm allen key. And you need 400-450ml of oil. People advise dextron 3 if using atf.

Hi. You need to remove the cover again. Check that the release bearing is sat correctly on the slave cylinder top hat. I missed mine, pulled the lever and smashed it to bits. You could be lucky! also check that the small washer was on the kick start shaft.

Next time use the drain bung underneath with a 5mm allen key. And you need 400-450ml of oil. People advise dextron 3 if using atf.

I've drained it again the correct way, which I didn't know about, and found the gasket to be in way of a pin and the bearing is now slightly squashed, I think the gasket wasn't on correctly making the cover go on wonky, and the bearing has been pressing on the clutch when I press the lever in! I was tempted to pull the lever a little harder, thank god I didn't.

When I pull in the clutch lever it does suddenly stop solid, so I can't pull the lever in at all. Well I can but ever so slightly.

See above - most likely the reason. Pull off side case and check for backed out hub center bolt, limiting the slave travel.

There you go.

We have all done similar things usually through lack of experience.

My suggestion is that however silly/simple it may seem please ask how to do a job before doing it. youll soon get the hang of it anyway. Its important to keep on top of things, with a gasser.

You may now need a new gasket, but certainly somethings moved in there if you cant identify whats wrong post a photo.

Well done for having a go though.