248 Flooding

sylvester

Hi all,

Frustration with my 248. Just rebuilt with new piston, rings and rewound ignition. ran ok at first, but after around 10 mins,it just cut out. Plug saturated. Now, with clean plug, it starts first or second kick, runs for a couple of secs, then stops. Plug saturated with fuel.

The carb is an Amal concentric mk.2. The float is good. Float needle fine, and fuel shuts off about 3mm below top of float bowl. Am I missing something? If I put a mikuni on, what size and jetting. Any thoughts welcome.

Thanks for your thoughts. Zerorev; that was a great idea. Just tried it. The engine starts great, then dies as before after a few seconds, and the strobe stops flashing too. The condenser is brand new, so will investigate rest of ignition. I suppose the strobe will continue flashing even if the plug is wet??

as above try a new condensor but do away with one on stator ( could just snip wire through flywheel hole ) and fit one under tank an old mini mg or beatle type will do and mount to frame this way it wont over heat and pack up ,get a good make one like lucas ,,, the new stator type on the shelf today arnt much good ,i take it points look ok and the wiring isnt earthing out

• 11 months later...

Hi zerorev3rev4,

Just read your old post re the 248, having identical problems with mine, it's all listed under chappo 248 coil relocation.

Read up to the last post......how did it end, was it the condenser,carb or something else.

Thanks, Dave.