Ariel - Gearing

gii

Have just purchased a 500cc Ariel and I'm wondering what gearing people are using.

Currently its Primary drive 14/42, Final drive 16/48, gearbox described as standard GB47

It feels high geared to me (across the garden), just don't know how much to lower it

It doesn't sound far out, if the GB47 box has its correct internals. A bottom gear ratio of 29 - 30:1 seems to be about right, and your present set up is 28.8;1.

You could change the rear sprocket for a 49,or a 50- the latter giving 30:1.

If it seems very high geared, check that it has the correct pinions in the box. To do this, the mainshaft (clutch) should need 3.2 turns for the gearbox sprocket to rotate 1 turn, while 1st gear is selected. If the clutch only needs 2.8 turns, then the box has road gears inside, although that sounds unlikely as the gearing is otherwise pretty close.

Should the box not have the correct internals, i have new extra wide gears for them.

Thanks Mick,

I like them slow so I'll check the first gear ratio, then perhaps drop a tooth on the Gearbox output sprocket, I can experiment that way without changing the chain.

Edited by gii

Hi,

The gearing sounds about right to me, I always used that combination.

The trick with an Ariel is that they want to work, set it to a higher gear than you would normally use, retard the ignition a tad until you feel the back end beginning to bite into the grip, then ride it and hang on - they will climb anywhere - and when going down the hills use a lot of retard to make the back wheel drag - you'll get better control than on the brake - and if it gets too slow, just a whiff of valve lifter. Proper bikes need riding properly.

Enjoy.

All good advice,but I'd add that with a standard road cluster second gear will make things happen far too fast... Assuming its a standard long stroke 500 motor,once they have fired a few times they take some slowing down.Fine for long muddy hillclimbs,but in second they just become a handful.Fitting a set of Micks gears in mine made SO much difference - giving a much better choice of speed in sections.That and fitting a Jawa speedway clutch mean you can ride in the old fashioned way or ride on the clutch like a modern.With the variation of sections we ride its now nice to be able to concentrate on forcing the weight of the thing around,not worrying about how fast its going or reigning it in after its found grip on a climb.

I'm really looking forward to how my short stroke motor runs,George Greenland reckons they are much easier to ride as they pick up and shut down quicker,not sure I need that,my flat as a t-rd 350 Ajay actually does all I need of it,both in climbing hills and finding grip where there is none....

fitting a Jawa speedway clutch mean you can ride in the old fashioned way or ride on the clutch like a modern.

I'm told it's fitted with a Norton clutch at the moment

Does the Jawa clutch really have the same splines as Burman?

I'm told it's fitted with a Norton clutch at the moment

Does the Jawa clutch really have the same splines as Burman?

No, but they do after George Greenland has had a go at them..... Darn sight lighter than a Norton clutch and a treat to use.They are also very progressive. I'm told some of the NEB clutches are a bit lightswitch in operation unless they have been fiddled with.