Keeping The Front Wheel Up Crossing Obstacles

For biggish logs use the double blip technique were you tap tour front wheel on the log/rock and then blip again and make sure to bend your legs

Amen! to this, and especially the part about bending your legs! I once posted a video on the Trials forum at Thumpertalk, and those guys there almost unanimously said that I wasn't bending my knees enough. Not bending your knees enough "cheats" you on compression when you put your front wheel into an obstacle, and makes for a much weaker unloading/unweighting.

I accidentally deleted my video of me doing it totally wrong. I could probably go make another if it were daylight, because I feel I really dont' do it much better after a year+ of practice. :wall:

But, if you could post a vid of yourself, taken by someone off to the side, it would probably help these better riders here diagnose it for ya, Charlie.

Also, I had problems at first going too fast. I would hit my log many, many times, and thinking if I hit it faster I'd "Get It!". That just didn't work for me. Be patient, and slow down. Plus, by slowing down, you can "break down" & refine each little aspect of the whole technique, and possibly along with video, you can figure out what needs to change. Or, get a ridin' buddy to watch you & help out.....

Here's a short vid with nowhere near enough knee bend, but somehow I got over it w/o crashing....:

Also, I defintely understand about the knee thing. One of mine has been replaced, and the other will need to be someday. Football, basketball, jogging, & mx were hard on me when I was younger.....

Jimmie

• 10 months later...

I just got another trials bike after a 15 year layoff and ride at Lake McClellan outside of Pampa almost every weekend. All those logs are still there and Yamaha has helped fund the area for riding because there is no water in the lake. It's a little overgrown but it's all still there. I bought an old '96 Techno like in Lineaways picture to re-learn on. I'm usually the only one there with a trials bike. I have a friend at work that quit riding about the same time I did but has bought an old GasGas 350 and is about to start riding with me. As far as I know none of the old Top Of Texas Trials Association trials club guys ride anymore. Sad.