Wasp Rt4

trials1951

The Wasp Motorcycles website was indeed my first port of call and there are two black and white very grainy images of Wasps one of which shows Geoff Chandler riding a Bultaco engined one. I did contact Wasp directly and they could only supply me with the approx. year of manufacture from the frame number and who it was sold to (Mr. Hyland). They have not been able to give me any further information.

Some photographs of the project so far. The front (Tiger Cub) has been rechromed at Niphos and they have also polished the rear(REH) hub, the fork stanchions were hard chromed by Philpotts. Can anyone tell me if there were side panels originally fitted, as the brackets present would indicate, and were they GRP or alloy?also type of exhaust? The engine is at present being rebuilt, will take some photos when complete.

post-19312-0-92140700-1386863158_thumb.jpgpost-19312-0-80216600-1386863170_thumb.jpgpost-19312-0-04500900-1386863190_thumb.jpgpost-19312-0-92723100-1386863200_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Hi Trials 1951.

I am the owner/builder of the alloy tanked Wasp above, The picture was taken at the Alvie Two Day Classic early on this year, It was not quite finished, but i was keen to get it out. Rob Rhind Tutt Dated the frame as 1963, The Wasp Trials frame kit was completely overtaken when the sidecar moto cross models really took off. There are very few original models left, I was surprised when I seen your's for sale on ebay very complete, Keep up the good work, you really are making a cracking job so far!!! With regard to my own one, I had built a 340cc Villiers motor some years back, I had the opportunity to obtain some Dot barrels in a completely raw unmachined state, this got me thinking about building a big Villiers motor (These are NOT the Big Factory 360cc MX barrels) these were unsuitable for building up a trials motor. There was/is a lot of negative crack about Big Bore Villiers conversions, they where so radically ported, very few worked well as scramblers and even less as a trials engine.As for the (after market ) alloy barrels most have been tweaked in some way!!! What I had was the chance to start again and produce a big bore barrel that I ported very softly. As for the bottom end this is a complete Alpha crankshaft and crankcase's, I used these because of the size of the crank flywheels (huge for a 2 stroke), no external flywheel is used in the Alpha set up. I have added another 6 1/2lb to the end of the crank and fitted a Electrex World Ignition kit (this was the first kit they produced). The torque that this engine produces is outstanding, it is completely predictable, and it grips for Scotland. I have put a lot of work into the bike, but thats all part of the fun!!! or headache!!!!!!!!!!!!!

If you need any help just ask.

Best Regards

Willie Stewart

Edited by 340villiers
  • Like 1

Hi, Willie,

There was one 'big-bore' Villiers conversion on the market, the brain child of a lad called Burns (sadly my advancing Alzheimer's is hiding his first name from me). He worked at Moto-cross Motors in Oldham and sold his developments as a kit.

I bought his own bike from him, in a Cotton framed sidecar outfit, did my own improvement to the ignition and eventually rode it as a solo. It was far more like a fourstroke in power characteristics, pulled like a train when you put it in a higher gear and made it work! I swopped it eventually in a deal for a new Greeves Pathfinder - and that cured me and pushed me back on to fourstrokes in a hurry!

Regards

• 3 weeks later...

Regarding the big bore conversions produced by Johnny Burns. These were originally produced for Scrambling and I think I am right in saying Chris Milner of Chesterfield was supplied with one to develop for Trials.He had it fitted to a Cotton. Mick Andrews assisted him trying various additional flywheel weights etc. and changes to the carburation (I think he ran an Ossa carb.). I can't remember the outcome but Chris was soon Ossa mounted via Eric Housley.

Sorry if this is not 100% correct but we are talking nearly 50yrs.ago ;)