Fantic 303 World Champion Bike Of Thierry Michaud

stefano

I recently bought from the Giulio Mauri family the 303 fantic that was the 1988 trials bike of Thierry Michaud. Giulio Mauri, a well known trials journalist and photographer, bought it from Thierry in 1998 and Thierry certified it. Mauri also wrote a book about Thierry and his Fantics.

The bike is very different from the series bike as it is the prototype of the 305. The frame has a closer fork angle and a longer swinging arm (steel, not aluminium). The small rear frame is aluminium. The silencer is (incredibily) steel. The fork legs are thinner. Tpost-6436-0-24662000-1386535430_thumb.jpgpost-6436-0-10718000-1386535471_thumb.jpgpost-6436-0-10718000-1386535471_thumb.jpghe engine has the cylinder that will be fit on the 305 and a Mikuni carb. The exaust is hand made like the airbox. Most of the bolts are titanium and ergal, the splinders are ergal. The bike is rather heavy on the front wheel, like a 325 sherpa. Gears are rather long. The clutch is very smooth and precise. Very good also the mono and the fork. The front brake is perfect, the rear is braking a bit too low on the pedal but it probably nedds attention. There were several sister bike like this as each national champion was given one. I know a man in Verona, Gino Franchini, that has one, probably the Miglio one.

• Like 4

Very cool! A nice find for sure! I bet the motor is spectacular.... I got to ride a bike that was left in the US in 87 that was ridden by Mr. Saunders. Aluminum sub-frame and motor was much better than stock. Can imagine that the bike you have there is very nice!

I've only found sketchy details of who rode the 83 or late 82 (title says 83 ) round in the states , But I would love to know who rode for the Fantic factory in that event , 'cause I do know for sure my 240 was left here after that event ... It's not quite like the other ones I've obtained , from the frame to the porting and the single wall expansion chamber ...

Any clues I can chase ?

Glenn

I can name most of them....I was at that event in 83 in Texas. The ones there all had Bultaco style rear exhaust on them. Gilles Burgat, John Lampkin (who won the event), Bernard Cordonier, Renato Chiaberto, would have been the top riders on them that year. Am I missing anyone??? Who else was there or can remember the factory team that year? Diego and Michaud were on the team in 84 in Watkins Glen.

HHmmm... So the funky silencer that was in the box of stuff I got with the bikes , Is something special ? When I bought these two for $200.00 , one was a complete runner with ign. issues , and it came with more than a complete bike in box's ... I used what I learned from photo's to be the stock silencer at first , as the other one looked kinda tacky/homemade / abused ! I ran the red frame , as the other one is spray painted in redneck camo !

But I have learned a wee bit about the bikes since '05 when I bought them , back then I didn't even know what a fantic was ! I guess that can happen when you've been out of the sport since you where a kid in the early 70's ...

I wonder if there is a record of Frame #s left anywhere ? I've got the original bill of sale and title that list the bike as a "used competition motorcycle , in as is condition " and was sold to a guy from Ca.

Thanks Steve , more research required :)

Glenn

I can name most of them....I was at that event in 83 in Texas. The ones there all had Bultaco style rear exhaust on them. Gilles Burgat, John Lampkin (who won the event), Bernard Cordonier, Renato Chiaberto, would have been the top riders on them that year. Am I missing anyone??? Who else was there or can remember the factory team that year? Diego and Michaud were on the team in 84 in Watkins Glen.

Pascal Couturier was on the Fantic in Texas. Cordonnier was on SWM (ck out Bernie's Book pg 101)

Duane Walters received one of the Works Fantics after the event. He just showed up at our last Trial here in

S. Cal. I will ask him for any details of the bike next time I see him.

Kramit...thanks! My memory is good...just fading! That is very cool that Duane showed up at your event. How long has it been since he was at a trial?

Saw him last at El Trial about 8 years ago, he was spectating. He had a bike the other day, although he didn't

compete.

My bike was bought By a Stief J. Counts from lancaster Ca. on Nov. 11 ,1982 ... Were there more than one fantic factory bike about ? as my frame and engine #'s match the bill of sale from Cherokee Cycle center , (No tax or freight as bike was picked up by customer ..) and my frame is way different from the others I have and the top end is ported kinda unique ... along with the silencer thats out in the shop , the expansion chamber on this bike has no packing in it and is just the outer shell ... (I've opened up 2 and this one is naked inside ) so it sounds much crisper and came alive with the Flat slide carb ... And quoting Ryan Young last time he rode it with a bent Falcon shock " the ultimate cheater twinshock " And the billet repackable silencer on it now from a gent in Italy , works better than a wes , or stock or the funny looking one. (came in 2nd for off idle response next to the billet ...)

Well I'll just keep riding the old girl , as she can do much more than I can . :)

Glenn