Pool Noodle.

mokwepa

Hi guys

Im well and truly sick of flat tires. I have some of the coolest spots to ride on my doorstep but flats are becoming a major issue :(

Issue is mainly with the front, rear is easy to plug and slime seems to be working.

So my plan is to try jam a pool noodle in the front tire. Either just a noodle and no tube or split the noodle and use it between tube and tire, like a thick liner.

What do you think? Might it work?

Im desperate! :( !

Do you mean a bicycle tube to hold bead and then the noodle? Sounds like a idea.

Im actually thinking of using a closed cell foam camping mattress and cutting a strip to line the tire then still using the tube. A camp mattress is denser than a noodle.

I have seen ice racers (for those in warm climates, ice is the solid form of water when it gets cold.... ;) ) anyways these ice racing guys screw studs into their tires and are concerned about the screw part puncturing the tube. I have seen them take an old tire and cut the sidewall off and just have the tread area and then they would jam that into the tires with the studs screwed into it. So it would be tube - old tire no sidewall - new tire with studs.

not sure how it would flex etc.. for trials applications,

Seems like some sort of liner is the way to go.

I have some material that rubber ducks/dinghy s are made from, wonder how thorn risistant it is. Ill try poke a thorn through some tomorrow. Im liking the camp mattress liner idea sofar just depends how much 6psi will compress it. No point if the tube squashes the foam flat against the tire.

Ive never used them but ive heard allot about them. I must say im not keen on the idea of a flat cell in the tire should one get punctured. There is another product called a moose inner, like a dense pool noodle. With a moose,youre tires cconsistency stays the same all the way around.

Got to have a tube to hold the bead. How about a bicycle tire within the front tire?

You've just described the TuBliss system, which works very good! I used them on my moto & offroad KTMs. You can run a knobby at low (or no pressure at all, actually....) pressures, and they work really great in mud races.

Dylan, are you thinking Bib Mousse? You can drill some holes in those to get them to simulate lower pressures.......

Jimmie

Well I managed to get 2 layers of 10mm mattress foam in the tire with the tube. Just put 6 psi in and praying I havent pinched it. So far its looking good and it "feels" right when you give it a squeeze. The foam is VERY lite and I cant even feel a difference in weight. A thorn now needs to get through the tire and 20mm of foam (10mm im guessing with preasure in the tube) to get to the tube.

Will keep you updated.

post-18493-0-36647900-1387021231_thumb.jpg

Hi

I used a similar product in my bmx and I was disappointed. Our thorns are evil *******s on steriods, and they are everywhere. I need to take a pic of some so you guys can see what im talking about. No jokes, 99% of our vegetation here, has viscous thorns.