Matchless Tuning

tgh30

What big red said, sounds like fuel starvation. Nice looking bike, but if it were mine I would have a foam type pod filter on there not just a mesh bell mouth.

Agreed but I wouldn't have either I would have as big as possible considering space available a alloy fabricated air box with a proper modern replaceable filter element fitted. Could still be made to look period but why oh why would you want to fit that awful bellmouth to a Classic bike that has had so much spent on it? spoil the ship for a haporth of tar ?

Then again it's your bike so you do as you like.

• Like 1

Agree with both your comments about the air filter (that bell mouth was on when I bought it) but felt there was not a lot of point playing with the air filter yet unless the bike runs, wanted to spend the money on getting the bike running as I wasn't sure what I would need to spend, (I had asked father Christmas for a new carb but as he has asked no questions about the specification required I doubt that will be in my stocking) I would then tackle the air filter as I would only need to play with the mixture.

I have a cardboard template (model) mocked up to fit in the sub frame and already arranged with Alan Whitton that I will send it him for fabrication when I'm ready.

I have had the bike since April and she's still a work in progress (probably will be for some time) but since I got her I have fabricated the footrest mounts to move the position back slightly from the standard position (I didn't want to do any welding on the original frame so fabricated a bolt on arrangement that can be seen in the photo). I have had the forks modernised by Alan and fitted a new set of whitton yokes. Magicals are on order from Mick Andrews and entry is in for the Scottish 2 day. Just need the bike to run. If I get into the scottish I will be taking my wife to dinner and persuading her I need alloy rims as well but the bike rolls so thats not imperative at the mo.

Thanks for the comments chaps, all are welcome.

Tim

• Like 1

Hi,

Just to add a little spice to the topic, this image, taken by my much missed colleague, Gordon Francis, shows another mate, Gordon Jackson, with his 1962 bike, adding a little 'spit and polish' with the 'Solvol Autosol' (see the tin on the saddle) in readiness for the weigh-in at the Scottish.jacko.jpg

post-19290-0-92635200-1387533045_thumb.jpg

Hi,

An insight into why the British motorcycle industry disappeared, virtually without trace, came when I was chatting with Bob Manns, some years later, about his old works bike TUL 654, which I was riding at the time.

Bob, who had also worked for Triumph, was Sales Manager for AMC at Plumstead in 1961. Elated with Jacko's historic one dab win in Fort William, and knowing that AMC sales were, in general, declining he rushed back to the factory with an exciting proposal for the board of directors.

"We can market a Jackson Works Replica on the back of that wonderful result," he announced, "we can leave off all the bits that the buyers all take off and throw away, like the mudguard-mounted front number plate, the front mudguard stay, the long rear mudguard stay and the heavy number plate, the tool box, the heavy oil tank and put a small alloy tank above the gearbox, we'll be able to sell it for £20 more than the standard bike - and we'll sell hundreds ............."

The Financial Director was aghast; "Charge more for a machine with less parts fitted, don't be ridiculous........."

The topic was never raised again - and Bob was a very disillusioned man.

• 2 weeks later...

Ok, I managed to sneak out to the workshop for a couple of hours today,stripped out the carb for cleaning and here are the specs;

622/R300

No 3 Brass slide

160 main jet

106 needle jet

Needle position one down from top notch.

Stay up Ethanol proof float.

All these parts were supplied by Surrey Cycles who were most helpful,all built into the body which was on the bike when I bought it.Before the mag started to fail it ran perfectly with this carb setup.