Concentration Issues.

cabby

I'm starting to get very frustrated by what seems to be my lack of being able to concentrate at trials. My general riding is ok, but I am still making the same basic mistakes every trial, missing flags and stalling the bike being the main problems.

Yesterday, I stalled the bike in the same section at exactly the same place, twice. In other trials, it's the same, or missing gates, and it's starting to drive me crazy.

Is there any tips out there that I can learn from, as it's not like a newbie, three years I've been at this now.

Did you ride the section you stalled in the same way twice?

Did you watch others ride your course before missing a flag?

It's worse than I first said, I actually set out the section where I stalled twice, but it happened on lap one and lap three. As for the missed gate/s, it's not like it happens on the first lap.

There are many things going on during a trials. You have to remind yourself to take it one obstacle at a time, one section at a time. Very easy for the mind to wander to the `thing` down the road you dread instead of what`s right in front of you. Slow down a little and pay attention to every section. (Even the easy ones) The stalling is usually more mechanical than mental. Idle too low, clutch dragging a little more, Rear brake pedal adjusted too high or not enough play. Take the time before the event to make sure the air/idle screws are set right for that day. Each day the weather can effect proper carb set-up just a little.

The little points here and there is what separates the guys that always win and the ones that could have. You have to find that point that keeps you sharp. Find that `zone` that you ride the best. I find it best to ride by myself with no distractions. Many riders ride better slow, taking their time and truly finding better lines by watching all the competitors. Good Luck!

• Like 1

Try a couple of bananas and lots of water before and water during the trials. Dehydration can mess up your concentration it messes up mine.

On another note I was observing this weekend ( for the first time ) and was amazed at how many riders didn`t walk the section properly !

Eighty percent checked the first time, twenty percent checked the second time then only one or two bothered the third and fourth time.

Standing watching daft dabs because of rocks and branches moving about plus ground degradation from all the riders ! I am defiantly going to be checking every lap from now on as I am guilty of this myself.

Having another look at a section also allows for a small break, especially for those of us who aren`t as fit as we used to be.

All those silly dabs add up.

• Like 1

What do you do the night before ? Does have an effect.

I'm not a drinker, but also not the best of sleepers.

On the walking of sections again, a couple years back I did a trial at a venue I'd never ridden before, I rode round on my own and read the sections each time for the first two laps (was only three laps) and is probably the best I've ever ridden.

I really have trouble if I try to ride the loop with friends,to do my best I need to get into a zone where I am the only creature in existence.But,I really want a Trials to be a social event as well as a personal challenge,so I will work on that aspect of my riding in addition to technical practice.I've gotten several friends into trials and I want to ride along with them at the events.

One thing I've noticed is the top riders take every inch of the section with equal seriousness,they use technique and concentration as much on a small twig or stone as the big step or log in the section,novices tend to focus on the main obstacle that lies ahead in the section rather than where they are at the moment.

also,

http://www.gasgas.com/Pages/Manniko/Manniko-mental.html

• Like 1

Top level athletes use a technique known as "staying in the now", ie keeping the brain focussed on what is happening this second, not on a mistake you just made or what is approaching that you might be fearful of. This applies very well to riding a section, where it's important to "flow", keeping to the line you have planned. Missing markers is a classic example of not focussing on the present.

It's also important to be able to switch your brain to 100% concentration on the challenge. If you watch a top rider keying himself up to enter a section he will probably go through a series of actions such as pumping the forks up and down and repeatedly prodding the gear lever while the observer waits for him to make his attempt. This isn't because he thinks his bike needs checking over, what's happening is that he is focussing his brain onto the section, mentally rehearsing how he will ride it. He goes when he has shut out all distractions and when his brain is fully tuned in, and not a second before.

You have to be able to switch off from all distractions to make your best attempt. A classic situation is when a rider is at the front of the queue and his mate who is returning to his bike after looking at the section asks him "second gear for this?" or "are you going to the right of that rock?" . The rider then needs to re-tune his mind from this distraction onto exactly what he is about to do. You can use a technique of using one particular action to help you shut off from distractions before setting off into the section, for example giving the bike a rev. As the engine settles down, imagine your brain also calming down to it best operating mode, where you can start to use the "stay in the now" technique as you let the clutch out.

Fascinating stuff...

• Like 2

concentration issues, I have experienced days when I, er, er, yes some days it's worse, or Sundays usually, the day after Saturday I er, er prefer red bikes for some reason, I er, er must feed the cat and I must get a cat, that reminds me, is that the time?

No never had a problem with it.

TLTEL

Actually I have had similar Issues, and as said if you have helped set up the trial or maybe set it all up, you probably didn't look that hard before riding, Tiredness is another issue if you have been climbing around sections the day before.

I have found that Drinking quite a bit during the first lap helps (with cramp too) as the first lap is always the hardest for me.

TLTEL