Ossa Mar

metisse

I had a 1975 310 MAR and several of my friends had slightly earlier 250s from about 72 to 74 models. Sure the clutches were a bit heavier than modern hydraulics but nowhere near needing stilsons. The standard cables were good quality with oil nipples. I used to use graphited penetrating oil. None of us ever felt the need to modify the clutches in any way.

Standard mod was to replace Hex Head sump bung with a tapered hex socket plug so it did not extend below the ally "sump" case.

• 9 years later...

Ancient thread I know but...

A couple mentions of lighter clutch springs. @woody do you have a source or part number? I'm planning the Barnett clutch and definitely lighter springs along with a fresh cable on my 1976 MAR 350.

I competed on it this past weekend for the first time and had a blast.

I have another vintage event coming up at Laguna Seca in 2 weeks, so I want to try and get the bike sorted a bit better.

Edited by buschog
  • Like 1

On 6/27/2023 at 1:33 AM, buschog said:

Ancient thread I know but...

A couple mentions of lighter clutch springs. @woody do you have a source or part number? I'm planning the Barnett clutch and definitely lighter springs along with a fresh cable on my 1976 MAR 350.

I competed on it this past weekend for the first time and had a blast.

I have another vintage event coming up at Laguna Seca in 2 weeks, so I want to try and get the bike sorted a bit better.

I've never tried lighter clutch springs myself so I don't know for definite who sold them, they aren't an actual Ossa part, they're aftermarket. I think it may have been a company here in the UK called Rex Caunt Racing. They never listed them as a part in their product list so you'd have to contact them to see if they still stock them. With Barnett plates I just back the tension off on my springs to get where I want by trial and error

• Like 1

On 6/30/2023 at 9:50 AM, woody said:

I've never tried lighter clutch springs myself so I don't know for definite who sold them, they aren't an actual Ossa part, they're aftermarket. I think it may have been a company here in the UK called Rex Caunt Racing. They never listed them as a part in their product list so you'd have to contact them to see if they still stock them. With Barnett plates I just back the tension off on my springs to get where I want by trial and error

Did you use shim stock or washers, or just leave the bolts a little loose.

6 hours ago, buschog said:

Did you use shim stock or washers, or just leave the bolts a little loose.

Not sure what you mean by using shims or washers, I just reduce the tension on the springs by backing off the screws until I get a pull that feels comfortable without the clutch slipping.  I've also lengthened the arm on the ignition cover