Am I Too Old?

top ghia

Hi all. My 14 year old has a KX85 Motorcross bike and to give him some riding time in a safe and legal enviroment we have paid our fee to Grant and have been using Eadon fields at dronfield. Im sure some of you will know it. Obviously while there we have seen the trials riders and im keen to have a go. I sold my last road bike 2 years ago and apart from a go on the lads bike have not riden since and have never riden trials. So at 47 am i too old to start? Im 5'8 and 11 stone reasonably fit, but im guessing it quite a physical sport.

Any other late starters on here to offer advice?

Cheers gary.

Man, I hope you're not too old, Gary (top ghia)...... If you are, I'm probably ready to sell my bike & take up knitting or some such.....

I didn't start riding trials until after I got too beat up from riding mx, enduros, & hare scrambles, at age 55 or 56. I'll be 58 in a month, and plan on riding for many more years. I don't know how many "stones" I am, but I'm defintely overweight, underskilled, and dumber than most of the vegatation I ride over. I still manage to have more than my fair share of fun, which is all I hope for any more. My days of competing to win are long gone; I just want to continue to have fun riding with my good Trials friends.

BTW, how much in kilograms or American pounds is a stone? I weigh 225 lbs., and am only 5'10" tall. Shaped kinda like a refrigerator with a head on it, basically......

Jimmie

Edited by mr neutron
  • Like 5

If you haven't already realized your not from everyone else's comments, let me just add that after 28 years off the bike and on many horses, my back was getting so bad that I could barely function. After six months of playing in the pasture on logs and rocks, and riding some pretty challenging trails in the mountains, I'm moving like a 47-year-old again. And for that I'm very grateful. And what a great way to convince your son that you are not dead yet.

A quick conversion

11 Stone = 154Lbs = 69.85Kg

16 Stone = 225Llbs = 102.1Kg

Thanks, Richt!!! :icon_salut:

It's funny :hyper: ..... No matter what unit of measure I use, I'm stil about 2-3 stones/50+ lbs./22 kilos overweight..... :blush: I probably should've asked Santa for a Treadmill, hee hee..... :xmas:

Gary, I forgot to mention above that a fellow in our club is in his early 70s, has had heart surgery of some type, and is still riding events at the Intermediate level (and does very good at them, also.... ). Go for it, my friend!

Jimmie

Edited by mr neutron

Just done a trial today,at Barnsley with the Barnsley Trials Club. i'm 64 don't i know it i ache all over.15 1/2 STONE and ride a Gas Gas 125 pro ,I returned 2 yrs ago to trials ,But i wouldn't have missed it, after 20 yr lay off cos had my bikes were stolen,and couldn't afford to replace them. i know Edonsfield well,Used to ride there with the Sheffield & Hallamshire Club.But not been there since Grant bought it.Go for it.

Edited by bilks
  • Like 1

Trials is not easy, nor is it necessarily hard, as all ride at their own level of comfort and/ or difficulty! You do not have to ride anything you do not want/like, yet you may decide to develop or improve your skills over time and push your limits against the terrain.

I decided to get back into riding after about a 25 year break. I used to ride endures but don't feel the need to go so fast any more. Trials was my choice. And what a great choice it is. Great bunch of guys and what fun to ride a trials bike in the sections, on the loop trails and just around the yard. It is amazing what these things can do - even in spite of my lack of skills.

Had a great day riding today with my young buddy - a mid-50's guy. There are a lot of guys in our club over 50 and a couple who are over 70. 47 is definitely not too old to start. You have the benefit of the wisdom to know you are not unbreakable and that it is better to what you can handle and leave the insane stuff to the young bucks who defy the laws of gravity,

Get on a bike and share the great times with your son. It will be some of the best days of your life and will build a bond with your son that will last forever.

Just remember: keep your feet up and the rubber side down.