Ariels In Scotland

laird387

Hi,

An image from my offroadarchive showing Alan Morewood, with the Ariel HT5 that he built up for use in Pre-65 trials, mainly with the Midland Classic club and also the Yorks and Lancs Classic, as it was known in the 1980s.

Here Alan is on Pipeline in, we think the 1989 Pre-65 SSDT.

Enjoy

post-19290-0-38281700-1388478977_thumb.jpg

Hi Deryk,

I can definitely confirm that it is earlier than 1989. The person on the left spectating with a bald patch and a beard is me - Mike Rapley - and I shaved off my beard in 1987 when it went down a Polish drain. I went to the ISDE for TMX that year at Jelenia Gora and of course the Iron Curtain still existed. I wanted to shave off my beard but didn't dare as my passport photo showed me with a beard and I thought that if I shaved it off before I went, I might not be allowed in. I guess that I wasn't bothered if they wouldn't allow me out!!

It must be 1984 then,which i think was the first year of the pre 65 Scottish.

I remember your dad riding an Ariel in the SSDT though, '75-76 'ish, and finishing too, a terrific achievement. Ray Pettet owned the bike at the time, having built it from new genuine parts, but Alan subsequently purchased it, if i remember correctly..

Hi Robin,

Alan was definitely no stranger to riding his Ariels solo, for example I remember him riding solo in the 1959 Kickham trial, where I think he took a First Class.

I haven't found an early picture to show yet - but I'll keep trying.

Cheers

Hi All,

I can confirm once and for all when it was. It was taken on Pipeline (we all know that) in 1984. Alan finished in 24th place losing 28 marks - details obtained from Jim McColm's book Six Days In May, and it was the first Pre 65 trial with 76 finishers. Sammy Miller won with the loss of 2, second was Malcolm Rathmell on 4 with Martin Lampkin third on eight.

The sections were Mam Brec (1 section), Mamore (5), Loch Eild Path (8), Pipeline (3) and Grey Mares Ridge (5). I remember trudging up to see the sections on Mamore but worried that I would be missing the main Six Days action, for I was reporting for TMX in those days and found it a lot of work covering both the Six Day action that day and also the Pre 65 action. The Pre 65 was held on a Tuesday to help take vehicles away from Achlain where parking was a real problem as so many spectators wanted to watch there.

Edited by hillary

Hi,

Not an Ariel this time, but Alan Morewood riding solo, this time in the Ilkley Grand National, a Scott-type trial.

It has been mentioned in another post about a film in Yorkshire where there were deep bogs - well here is Alan 'sampling' just such a bog in that actual event, this is the Derncombe Bog, and the offroadarchive photograph was taken by Barry Robinson.

Enjoy.

post-19290-0-35812000-1389006456_thumb.jpg

• Like 1