The Knife Of Knives.

mokwepa

Randalls are all hand made. I did a google search on the VST and all are different designs, slightly. This knife was made as part of a pair, #14 & #15 with consecutive serial numbers. The generous guy who gave it to me, owns its sister.

Its a collaboration between Randall, Larry Vickers and Rob Schoening aimed at US military soldiers. VST stands for Vickers Subdued Tactical. A handmade Randall is worked over by Larry and Rob. Bead blasted and parkerized and some other bits and pieces to reduce reflection.

Still cant believe it......I own a fair bit of great, expensive knives but this is in the Bugatti league.

I'm a real fan of handmade

I made knives as a hobby for a while so I can appreciate the work that goes into everything

Holding your breath to keep the grind line straight is difficult stuff and hollow grind is even harder

Do you know what kind of steel it is? I prefer carbon to stainless for edge but there is some pretty high tech stainless now, ATS34 was the blade of choice back a few years

I think its 0-1 tool steel, high carbon as ss cannot be parkerized to my knowledge. Im going to email Randall and try get some more info from him.

It is a solid knife. Spine is 1/4", for he purpose of prying a pilot out of a cockpit. That was one of the requirements when designing the blade. Quite cool.

A reply from Rob Schoening:

Hi Dylan!

Thanks for the pic, awesome to see one over there! Yes, I know Bob, great guy...he purchased this knife from within the past year. It is part of a limited run of knives I worked on with Larry Vickers of Vickers Tactical. All of the knives were set up with the Military, specifically the Infantryman in mind. You can read more about the series here http://www.lhgk.us/vst-randalls.html

This particular knife has a carbon steel blade and parkerized finish.

Let me know what other questions you have and I'll do my best to help you out. Would you mind if I posted your picture of on my facebook page...I'll leave the specifics of your name location out of the details.

- Rob

I personal like good knives for any work in the forest or fishing too. I also appreciate very much hand made knives and axes.

But can't see the craftsmanship in this particular knife, the knife sheath looks well done, but knife handle and the blade have

the look of industrial mass production.

For this high price I would expect something more individual and were much more craftsmanship is seen.

Here I refer to Gränsfors Bruks axes, (using steel of old Rheinmetall 120mm canon pipes from Leo II and Abrams), and Puuko's or Saami knifes which are easy to maintain and very durable, the ones sold as workhorse might not look extremely pretty (more rough) in their appearance (using handles of birch wood and some rough brass plates at both ends of the handle, also often lacks any finger protection) but the craftmanship of being made individually by hand is very good visible, and they are sooo practical ...

For the price (800$) you would get a small and bigger axe and knife ...

• Like 1

Or I could buy 100 swiss army knives......or a leatherman and a packet of pop corn......or a.....etc.....

Its a extremely popular, very rare Randall made especially for the Military. The mass produced look is to avoid reflecting light and giving a soldiers position away. Yes a soldier could use a kitchen knife and a tin of mat black spray paint....I wouldnt.

Its made to work and be the best at a specific task.....its not mad to look pretty even though I love its look.

Or I could buy 100 swiss army knives......or a leatherman and a packet of pop corn......or a.....etc.....

Its a extremely popular, very rare Randall made especially for the Military. The mass produced look is to avoid reflecting light and giving a soldiers position away. Yes a soldier could use a kitchen knife and a tin of mat black spray paint....I wouldnt.

Its made to work and be the best at a specific task.....its not mad to look pretty even though I love its look.

As stated, and a knife(or anything else) is not worth beans if you cannot use it! That one is a workhorse, use and enjoy it to the limit! That is probably why it found you.

As stated, and a knife(or anything else) is not worth beans if you cannot use it! That one is a workhorse, use and enjoy it to the limit! That is probably why it found you.

I agree 100% but not for 800$ ! Here I personal would have a problem this far to much for a workhorse.

Some of my relatives comes from the very north were knifes a not only part of daylily use but also a must have as personal social being.

Anyway costs and the use as workhorse are - as already mentioned - too different in this case. May be the collecting worth is higher but then you can't use it, just lay it on old sculls and show it around...

Edited by pschrauber
  • Like 1

Is that from Lord of the knives ?