1St Trials Bike, What Bike Would Suit Me ?

liddle145

Hi all

I am about to start looking for my 1st trials bike at 42 !

We got my son an Oset 16" 36v for Christmas and I am looking to do some riding with him at the local woods/practice ground.

I have been riding road bikes for years but this is my 1st time on a trials bike.

What make/model engine size would suit me most ?

I am 6"1 and around 14stone and I have a budget of around

If you are looking for a bike to simply ride along with your boy and not be doing difficult trails sections, a bike like a Yamaha TY175, TY250, etc are great because they have real seats and you can comfortably ride along all day at slow speeds.

If you are wanting to get more into riding modern trials, it is a whole different animal. No seats, much more responsive motors, etc. Can ride slowly all day long IF your legs are up to it.

In your budget you should be able to find a '90's era modern bike. Great for learning and not breaking the bank. One important consideration with an older bike is availability of spare parts. Other consideration is can you do your own work on it or would you have to take it to a shop for service.

At 16 stone and 6' 1" you probably want to go with a minimum of 175 cc and you may find it helpful to get taller bars or use some bar risers to get another inch or 2. Or, if you get a vintage bike, consider lowering the pegs.