Older Montesas.

laird387

Hi,

Creating a post in which I can attach some images of Montesa machines in action in the late 1960s and 70s, seemed only fair.

Sadly the first image that I found in the offroadarchive is hardly a good advert for the bikes!

But it is historically correct, so here goes. I prefer to allow the rider to remain anonymous.........

Enjoy

post-19290-0-76584600-1389540032_thumb.jpg

Good job someone recognised it - i was worried it was me and that had been photoshopped into black & white.

Nice to see that Birks has spent some time upside down too !!!

Keep the pics coming please ......

As always - The Wobbler

This is probably one of the earliest Cota Works Development bikes in the UK.

Ridden by D R Smith UMV10F was used in the SSDT and World Championship rounds.

Here he is seen in a Eastern Centre, Chelmsford and District MCC Trial at Broomfield Quarry 26/10/1968

post-18607-0-66906500-1389621816_thumb.jpg

post-18607-0-96314600-1389621892_thumb.jpg

Hi,

Once again offroadarchive can produce an image for you - sadly this one hasn't been through my cataloguing stage yet, but it's obviously Don on UMV10F and the section looks very like one of the Elan Valley ones used in the British Experts - but that could be wrong. I do know it was photographed by Alan Vines - so there's a start.

And there are some spectators for the people watchers.

Enjoy

post-19290-0-13551800-1389637315_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

That's not a 348, more likely a Model V (five) b. I bought one in 1971 (I think) and found it very poor and sold it within six months and bought a brand new Miller Bultaco. I'll dig out a few pics of the Montesa (with me riding it I regret you'll have to put up with). Must check my dates as not at all sure I'm right.

Hi hillary,

Nay Rappers you may well be reet!

As I am sure you very well know my experience of Spanish motorcycles is limited to having pointed cameras at a load of them and talked endlessly about them to various well known protagonists, my only personal experience was when Pete Fletcher persuaded the factory to let me leave the works Ossa motor in the outfit that I bought from Alec Wright when he decided to change his allegiance to Kawasaki. Mary and I were constantly amazed at the way that 230cc pulled like a tractor - and thoroughly enjoyed ourselves.

But 348cc is what it said on the programme for the event above - so that's what I called it!

Cheers

Deryk

• Like 2

Hi Sparks, my gambit on the bikes is:

Morris - too early for a MK5? I'd stake a bet on a MK4 or 4b due to age - can't make out the frame colour as MK4 was black and 4b was silver?

Rappers - too early for a MK4b? Tank shape, age and silver frame suggests older - a MK3?

Edit: Rappers bike also has right hand gear change

I've seen some history charts show the 4b running from as early as '71 through to '74 but that would mean it came with different tank shape and first right, then left hand gear change? I thought the 4 came in around late '72 with the left hand gear change and the 4b followed in late '73/74?.

Edited by woody

Woody

I think most / all Cota 247 history charts (including Don Morley and all internet) now seen are basically wrong in parts.

I don't think even most / all modern Spanish commentators now know the exact

Montesa model sequence.

I have peiced some information together because I have a collection of MCNs and MCs

from the late sixties / early seventies and have been able to follow the model evolution

through the contemporary photographs and dealer adverts.

Also I was a Montesa operator at the time and now own one of the early 247s (Mk2)

It would be nice if someone could come up with a definitive sequence / list

but I don't think I have seen it yet - far from it.

All the above -- subject to my opinion of course.

Regards

Sparks

Edited by sparks2