Older Montesas.

laird387

Just a bit of fine tuning Sparks and Woody. To the best of my knowledge

'DR's mk1 UMV10F 1968

mk2 68- 69 ( I had a mk2 reg AML 983H ) still large Drums.

Mk3 from march 1971 small hub , new slim tank. Rappers.

Mk4 dec 72 -73 on left side gear shift ( I had a mk 4 reg RPD 49L ) Jim Morris

Mk4b debateable 74- 75 some have silver, later have black frames !

mk5 UKReplica. 75 onwards , upper clutch arm .

Regards

Dave

Just a bit of fine tuning Sparks and Woody. To the best of my knowledge

'DR's mk1 UMV10F 1968

mk2 68- 69 ( I had a mk2 reg AML 983H ) still large Drums.

Mk3 from march 1971 small hub , new slim tank. Rappers.

Mk4 dec 72 -73 on left side gear shift ( I had a mk 4 reg RPD 49L ) Jim Morris

Mk4b debateable 74- 75 some have silver, later have black frames !

mk5 UKReplica. 75 onwards , upper clutch arm .

Regards

Dave

Agree in the main, except:

MK3 still had the fatter tank - more pronounced fatter 'side pods' and angled filler cap, as on Rappers' bike. Slim tank appeared on the MK4, as per Morris bike

MK5 wasn't the Ulf replica, that came afterwards. MK5 still had under casing clutch arm, I think.

This is all from memory of the bikes that mates had back in the day, so may not be 100% correct, but it's as I remember them. Between them, they had every model from the big hub onwards to the 348. I recently rebuilt an original one owner MK4b that was 'M' reg which I bought from the original owner.

• Like 1

Hi,

Another escapade from Nigel Birkett, this time from the 1977 British Experts which was at Burrington.

It seems Nigel was considering a career in pantomime, so took every opportunity to work on his high kicks........

Enjoy

post-19290-0-34817700-1390117133_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Sorry to upset anyone but Birks is on a Suzuki at Burrington, a 325 I think, with the red/black colour scheme..

I was stood at the bottom of this section, just the other side of the gentleman on the right. The picture doesnt show high high the climb was and that it was certainly 3rd and maybe even 4th gear with lots of revs. Then this 'hop' over the roots at the top.

I remember it as raining most of the day and people getting stuck in the car park but overall a great day out.

• Like 1

Hi mickmetcalfe,

I quite happily accept your correction - I was also there on the day - with my camera fixed firmly to my face in all the rain. My notes on the programme did not survive the soaking so my thoughts of the make of Nigel's bike was guesswork.......

One incident that day, I was standing talking to some of the organising team, trying to find a bit of shelter under the trees, when we were distracted by a flashing light.

It turned out to be me!!!

My Canon camera, with Metz flashgun mounted alongside was in a plastic bag - trying to keep it as dry as possible - stuffed inside my Barbour jacket. But the rain had found its way into the plastic bag and managed to get between the flash attachment on the camera and the Metz flash connection to the flashgun, the random short circuiting of the contacts by the water set the gun to random flashing......

All in a day's work for a photographer - but, boy, was I glad of Mary's old Safari Land Rover when it came to going home - after we had towed quite a few cars out of silly parking places.

• Like 2