Matchless Models

laird387

Hi,

The rider is Sid Wicken and the works Matchless has those heavy old full width hubs and the hopeless 'jampot' dampers at the rear. The section is Kinlochrannoch in the 1956 Scottish.

The machine was subsequently owned by long-time SA-CU stalwart Arnott Moffat and is now seen on display, suitably restored by the current owner, in Fort William during Scottish week.

The spectator lower in the section, in the beret, is Bob Currie, Midlands Editor of the Motor Cycle magazine.

Enjoy.

post-19290-0-35398700-1389867691_thumb.jpg

Edited by laird387
  • Like 2

Hi,

A well known image in its day, used by AMC in its advertising in the weekly motorcycle press, (the blue 'un and the green 'un), of Dick Clayton on his works Matchless G3C in the 1952 Scottish, with the superbly photogenic of the background of Kinlochourn.

Kinlochourn is not a happy place in many Scots memories because the sea loch was deep enough to enable the larger boats in used for carrying cargoes of highland families away to North America during the unhappy days of the clearances - people moved forcibly off the land to make way for more profitable sheep farming.

As a photographer I am intrigued by the press cameraman in the shot, busily getting ready to change the roll on his press camera, they took eight shots on a roll of 120 film, so you were pretty selective about which riders in action persuaded you to fire the mechanical shutter. On his neck strap is his back-up camera - a Leica that took 36 images on a 35mm film. Neither camera had autofocus or automatic exposure and, in those days colour film was a rarity. When you click away with your fully automatic digital camera taking glorious coloured images galore, my current one takes over a thousand images before I have to change the memory card - a work of moments - think about all those who struggled to get images of the quality of the one in this post.

Enjoy.

post-19290-0-26442800-1389869887_thumb.jpg

• Like 3

Funny,I was just doing a little research on my family history.It seems the clan with my surname (McKay) had to get off of its land in northern Scotland due to the sheep.Maybe my relatives went to England because great grandmother was English and then they ended up in Canada.Still more research to do.

Thanks again for all of the neat pictures and history.

Hi,

I suspect this image will come as a surprise to some of the older enthusiasts, it shows Ron Langston with a works Matchless riding in the Wye Valley Traders in 1960.

What was Ron, a devoted follower of the 'Iron Horse' (Ariel's logo), doing on a Plumstead bike? When I asked him, there came his grin, then: "Well you see, David (his brother) was saying he would like to try road racing - and AMC were willing to let me have an AJS 7R for the 'Hutchinson 100' meeting coming up at Silverstone........."

Enjoy.

post-19290-0-13382800-1391505614_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

• 3 weeks later...

Hi,

Another of the images from my pile of negatives that have become separated from their identity.

It does show, however, a scene from one of my own favourite trials, as a rider, the Tour of Islwyn which takes place around the Welsh 'valleys' along many of the old drovers routes, including one long lane that had been set with large slabs of stone low steps in times past that would allow the ponies to climb the lane but would prevent water washing huge grooves.

Enjoy.

post-19290-0-78640100-1395820381_thumb.jpg

Edited by laird387