Early Pre-65 Scottish Trials

laird387

Hi Ross,

The camera says you made a weekend of it!

Photo by Jack Knoops, enjoy.

(PS. Don't worry if your Scots mates 'extract the Michael' for a while - THEIR TURN WILL COME...............Deryk)

Attached Images
  • 2014kp65B40rtSatknoo-1.jpg
  • Like 2

Hi,

I don't know just how many trials, scrambles and grass tracks I have been heavily involved in over the years, but it is a few hundred and therefore i really know and appreciate just how many willing volunteers are needed to run every single sporting event.

I also know that all their work and efforts go largely unrewarded and, sadly, unnoticed by just too many of the competitors.

But not here, in my archive postings I will always try to give a little recognition to those efforts, so here are the first three.

Sadly I don't know your names but a big thankyou to these lads acting as Course Openers for this year's Pre-65 Scottish - if you know who they are, tell them about the posting.

Appreciate and enjoy these photographs from Jack Knoops.

post-19290-0-12419400-1400145458_thumb.jpg

post-19290-0-44311800-1400145490_thumb.jpg

post-19290-0-25700500-1400145526_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Hi,

The Scottish Transport Regiment (V) managed the role of fuelling from the early 1980’s until 2004 when due to budget restraints it was not possible to continue the service. At this time Captain Sandy Mack had moved to 5 Battalion Royal Electrical and Mechanical Engineers (REME), Catterick and as the captain of the Army trials team didn’t want to see the event come to an end. Sandy approached Willie Dalling, the Clerk of the Course at the time, with a plan to continue the Army’s involvement with the trial.

Sandy approached his boss at that time, Lt Col John Power, MBE, who gave Sandy the go ahead to run the refuelling as a battalion exercise. This was the start of REME involvement and this continued till Sandy retired from full time colour service in 2008.

After twenty-four years service Sandy thought he had hung his uniform up, however he was approached by the SSDT committee and asked to join the committee as the Fuel Manager which he enthusiastically accepted. At the same time Sandy joined the Territorial Army which ensured the Army’s continued support with the refuelling.

Sandy, after 16 years riding in the SSDT himself was believed - maybe even by himself! - to have hung up his riding boots- but what have we here, riding in the 2014 Pre-65 Scottish, large as life, Sandy Mack himself, photographed by Jack Knoops.

Enjoy.

post-19290-0-33533000-1400147117_thumb.jpg

• Like 3

Hi,

Mark Whitham is Willie Dalling's son-in-law, so his chances of not getting involved in the SSDT must be rated as VERY LOW to ZERO by anyone who knows Willie !!!

So it was inevitable that Mark would end up doing his stint as Clerk of the Course for the SSDT, which he admits, he thoroughly enjoyed, moreover it gave him his chance to stamp his own preference for ensuring that the Scottish remains an event where ordinary clubmen can rub shoulders with international stars in the same sections and sharing all the same problems.

Nowadays, as can be seen in this Jack Knoops photograph, Mark enjoys his motorcycling in a more sedate way!!

Enjoy

post-19290-0-63795300-1400151277_thumb.jpg

• Like 3

Hi,

jack Knoops spotted this rider, Chris Haigh, from Huddersfield, riding his pre-65 Velocette on the first day of the 2014 Pre-65 Scottish.

That set my mind racing - and maybe one of our armchair sleuths can help - has this bike any remote connections with Jim Swallow of Golcar, or am I barking up the wrong tree again?

Enjoy.

post-19290-0-01085000-1400229477_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Hi,

Oh dear, it's my old Scots sparring partner Jock McComisky with his Bantam-based bike spotted by Jack Knoops on the first day in 2014.

I was sad to learn that Jock's poor wee motey has osteoporosis in its old age - only last year it was a full 185cc and this year it has shrunk to 180cc - and I refuse to believe that Jock has been washing it that often............

Enjoy.

post-19290-0-40794200-1400335079_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Hi,

Now here's a query that I can't answer, this is Alan Fender with his 247 Greeves on the Friday of the 2014 Pre-65 Scottish.

In the programme it states that Alan comes from Orkney.

Now does that mean Alan is a born Orcadian, or does he stay on Orkney? If the latter, how many other Pre-65 bikes are there on Orkney and do they have many trials - how many rides does Alan have each year?

Note also the piece of magnetic rock under Alan's left foot - as you can see from the post above it also attracted Jock's foot..........

Photo by Jack Knoops, enjoy.

post-19290-0-20835700-1400335695_thumb.jpg

Edited by laird387

Hi Deryk, Alan's from Crieff originally, but has lived in Orkney for many years. His father started the trial, and presented the awards. Over Alan's right shoulder is James Harland, last year's winner, originally from Ayre.

Hi,

jack Knoops spotted this rider, Chris Haigh, from Huddersfield, riding his pre-65 Velocette on the first day of the 2014 Pre-65 Scottish.

That set my mind racing - and maybe one of our armchair sleuths can help - has this bike any remote connections with Jim Swallow of Golcar, or am I barking up the wrong tree again?

Enjoy.

Hi Deryk

It's the wrong tree time again.

(Are you just thinking that because Ken Swallow was a Velo agent) ?

Regards

Sparks

Edited by sparks2

Hi, sparks,

Every once in a while, whilst I was still at school I used to do the odd Sunday morning selling petrol at my uncle Dick's garage at Bargate, near Linthwaite, and one of the Golcar Swallow's used to stop by on a Velocette - just a remote memory from way back!

Cheers

Deryk