Knee Injuries

asc

quite a few riders have had knee injurys ,some related to twist's etc,i am getting to the point where if i ride a hard national level event it is giving a lot of pain and is getting noisy ,clicking etc.

i have been to a dotor's i the past and feel i was fobbed off and was told it's not that bad,trouble is work and hobbies are all contributing to making this worse and worse.

so has anyone had a minor knee op ?

did it improve things or make them worse?

how long was you off the bike/work.(self employed get little time off)

is the purhase of a knee brace worth while?

don't really want to do less riding as doing less cycling/trials etc as it tends to make me put weight on making things worse still.

got a few muti day events this year and really want to finnish them if possible.

thanks

You need a diagnosis, without that any advice will be flawed. Go back to your GP repeatedly if required and pressure them into giving you an appropriate referral.

For years I was fobbed off as it being growing pains until I hit 19 when it was diagnosed with what's commonly called a bucket handle tear in one knee and suspected matching injury in the other. I was then advised against surgery to inspect/repair and in the last 15 years whilst I still have some pain I've learnt to live with it, I'm aware of what aggravates it and able to avoid it, the joints used to lock but haven't for years as I now recognise the pre locking sensation. I'm only a trials beginner but my knees are yet to be a problem when riding.

Edited by totty79

Don't go to a doctor, go to a decent physio and get a referral, the only way to really know what is wrong is to have an MRI scan which you can pay for or get your doctor to refer (after seeing the physio). I have torn by ACL twice riding "nationals" and currently have no ACL in one knee. Physio should also give you some good exercises for strengthening your knee and core which will help.

• Like 1

I've had both extremes - left knee -snapped ACL playing football 15 years ago and have had full reconstruction and subsequently 6 ops since to keep it going (clean up scar tissue, shave the bone etc) and it's never quite been right since but I can still ride. Then my right knee - had all the same sort of symptoms that you mention about 5 years ago, got referred and had a minor op to tidy up cartlidge etc...in and out in one day and back driving in a week and back to normal in a few more but only off work for a couple of days initially (depends on the job I guess)..riding in 6 weeks and never given me a moments trouble since.

There are common elements in both though - if it's a problem get it sorted early - go and see a doctor and get referred to a specialst for checks / MRI. No point keep putting it off because if there's a problem it will only get worse and cause more damage and affect your enjoyment. Get a good physio, I've had many and my last one was a revelation.. no more plain and simple hospital rehab but deep tissue massage, hi intensity excercises to build muscle and plenty of hands on manipulation.. worked really well.

If you do end up having an op don't rush back before it's properly healed, give it time (easier said than done as I know) and it'll save you loads of time in the long run. Ignore the macho types that brag they are back riding in a week which they may be, but probably have had loads of problems since. The main thing is though to keep your leg strength up once your back fit again and then your quads and hamstrings will protect the knee joint more than anything else. Oh and I once asked my consultant about a knee brace and he said not to bother as your body just gets used to it and I'd be better off just trying to maintain muscle around the knee instead.

Good luck

• Like 2

I also had a "bucket handle" tear in my meniscus. I agree with others above. Get a good referral and an MRI (hope you have insurance). Mine did not require surgery.

I wear elastic knee braces on both legs when I ride. I find it does give support to keep the knee parts in their proper locations.

Here are 2 things I have done that have helped a lot.

1) When I have to climb stairs I take them 2 at a time. This really seems to keep the knee loose and builds the muscles around the knee to carry more of the weight.

2) I take a glucosamine / chondroitin supplement every day. Before I did this, my knees sounded like breaking sticks when I squatted. Now, they are much smoother and quiet. It does take a month or so to really have good effect. I now many others who take this also and most say it helps. Some did not notice any difference and stopped. OK, our bodies are not the same and what works for one may not work for another.

Just remember, Don't stop riding because you get old, you get old because you stop riding!

I wear elastic knee braces on both legs when I ride. I find it does give support to keep the knee parts in their proper locations.

A lot of this has been covered in previous threads. Some thoughts on knee braces:

Protect from yaw/sideways twisting - After my 5th knee op, I bought a pair of Asterisk knee braces. The strong side bracing is ideal for stopping yaw at the knee yet allowing full movement front-to-back ie motion of squatting.

Protect from a direct blow - Look for a knee cap cover ie. softens a direct blow (such as a rock) or when kneeling on the ground.

Edited by ross brown

My dad twisted his knee up really badly years ago riding twinshocks, when twinshocks were the tricked out technology. He tore ACL, had many surgeries, etc... He used a brace that would have looked right at home in a torture chamber. It was prescribed by his doctor. This brace protected from sideways motion, twisting motion and limited range of motion to keep from hyperextending his knee. They worked great when he was riding, but he walked funny with them on. They also would leave marks, sore spots etc...

Now fast forward many years, Much technology has changed with braces.

I had a knee injury and arthritis showed up about 13 years later. I had a "floater" in my knee, and a grinding feeling when walking/squatting. A scope surgery took out the floater, took me about 6 weeks to recover to where I was riding the trials bike again, I rode my roadbike to my 4 week check up. If you have surgery, Do the physical therapy after the surgery, you will heal much faster. My doc prescribed a knee brace for me, my brace is designed to hold the knee apart just a little bit to soften the impact in the knee joint where the arthritis is. I also take celebrex daily and that works for me, I tried the glucosomine thing but it did not make a difference to me. It may work for you, won't hurt to try.

I was very up front and honest with my orthopedic surgeon about my hobby. I showed her a video of me riding and she said "You need a new hobby", I said "that will not happen", she responded with "You need a knee brace".

When the brace arrived I took my riding boot with me for the fitting, to make sure the boot and the knee brace would work together. Wifey thought I was totally mental.

asc,

Hope the pain stays low or at least tolerable. I have also noticed that the more I move and stay active the better my knee feels.

Hi there

I severed my acl, pcl and mcl simultaneously whilst on my trials bike. IM also a theatre nurse who works in orthopaedics. I wear the donjoy armour brace when i ride. Brace gives great protection to collateral and crucia ligaments. It gives me great confidence to ride as i wouldn't want to go through 3 knee reconstructions again. I would pay £120 and see an orthopaedic consultant privately. You will hop the queue quicker. Don't bother with glucosamine as there is no evidence to prove that taking it orally will get into your knee. Save your money.

thanks for the replys,i tend to be mostly ok ,but if i have a tough day working or 2 or 3 days riding it will sometimes swell up,don't really like to get by on pain killers and if i knock it i can barely walk.

trouble is i love tougher trials and enduro's so i think i'll have to try the doctors again or look into seeing a consultant.

thanks all again.