Remove Rear Brake Pedal - Tr280

trialtrial

Ah! someone else who has experienced the frustration of the brake pedal nut....I am not alone!

I ended up using an oversize open ended wrench angled in from the front whilke simultaneously turning the torx bolt until the nut rotated itself into the wrench, mine did not take too much turning of the torx to get the nut loose so I was fortunate not to damage the nut or round any corners. Installation was the reverse, tightened it by hand as far as possible and then used the wrench while turning the torx the other way to tighten.

Thanks for the info. I cant seem to get at it from the front - the engine gets in the way of the wrench. Do you know the size of the nut? 19mm maybe? I think I will make a tool.

It is 19mm and the most frustrating thing to do! I had to change mine the other week and not matter what angle I put the spanner in, it just wouldn't go onto the nut! Eventually got it. I wouldn't say it was bad design though, just overlooked! ;) Still loving my Ossa. :)

Andy - I actually met up with them on Monday. Got a remap, a bit of tuning and some upgraded parts - including the brake pedal. They are in transit right now, but I left a message.

Manx2day - thanks for the info. I will muck around with it a bit more. If I cant get it, perhaps I will build a tool a sell it on the internet - I'll make millions!!!

Edited by trialtrial

To hold the 19mm nut, grind quite a large flat on an old 19mm socket, such that the socket can slip over the nut when in situ, the ground flat then catches up on the frame when tightening and loosening the torx through bolt. You need to grind off quite a lot of socket, just try not to overdo it as then the flats won't catch on the frame and you will need to weld a strip to the back of the socket to give you something to hold on to.

Bye, PeterB.

• Like 1

I welded a rod on a socket.

That worked very well (swapped the phony stock Explorer pedal for the TR280 one)

I wouldn't mine the setup - if they included a wrench with the bike.

Sure no need to supply major special tools, but removing the brake pedal can be a fairly common need.

Mark