Gasgas Advice Please...

elliotsdaddy

Evening all,

I have the opportunity to purchase a GasGas TXT Pro 250 (2005) and I am in need of a little advice.

This will be my first trial bike so I am trying not to get too carried away with it all, but there has been other interest from another potential customer, so if I want it then I have to move quick.

It's in good condition for an 8 year old bike, from what I can tell from the pictures anyway.

It's being sold by a reputable local trials dealer near to me for £999......but, and it's a big round J-Lo size 'butt'......it's had a rebuild but the previous owner for reasons unknown, didn't change the piston, he just did the rings!

So needless to say it could do with a new piston.

I have no idea how tricky that is to do, or how much it will cost, but what I'm asking is basically, is a 2005 TXT Pro 250 worth considering at that price with the likelyhood that it needs a little work?

Apparently the previous owner said it has been the way it is for 12mths, so the dealer is confident it's not going to go pop....the piston "just sounds a little bit loose".

Any advice is welcome.

Many thanks,

Chris.

I am always a bit cautious when people say they rebuilt the engine, to some it means replaced every seal gasket bearing piston etc. To others it may mean changed the head seals and fitted a new plug.

Some people will fit new rings because they can't think what else to spend their money on so do it weather they are needed or not.

When you go to a trial and sit in a queue of running bikes, some do make the strangest noises even new bikes.

I would tend to look at the bikes overall condition, you can usually tell if a bike has been abused. Does it look like its 8 years old ?

You at least will get a limited warrantee if you are buying from a dealer,

TLTEL

Sorry I meant to say I think Splat shop have the piston kits listed (or they did) to get an idea of cost if you feel it does need doing.

You will need head seals and base gasket, you may as well do the small end roller bearing while you are in there.

Not too difficult with basic spannering skills.

TLTEL

Thanks TLTEL.

It looks like a pretty decent bike visually, and the owner did p/x it against a newer bike so I think it's safe to say it was enthusiast owned.

I need to see it in the flesh really and go from there.....as regards rebuilding it, if it does need doing, I'm not scared to get my hands dirty.

If I could get it for nearer the £900 mark I think it'll be a lot of bike for the money.

I bought my 2005 250 pro for about £1500 (I think) a year and a bit ago. it was low use and on the same piston as far as I could tell. I fitted an hour meter and have since done 80 odd hours on it and it sounds the same, and performs the same as when I got it..... bags of compression too. I am used to high maintenance enduro bikes, so the gasser is relatively bombproof in comparison. I change the gearbox oil every 10 hrs and run it on 50:1 premix with castrol power 1 fully synth 2t oil. the air filter - which i still find a p.i.t.a to change - is kept spotless and oiled with putoline filter oil. I asked a similar Q to yours on this forum and I think that the general advice was just ride it. its been a good bike - my advice to you is, if you get it, is to take it apart and grease all the chassis bearings.

• Like 1

I bought my 2005 250 pro for about £1500 (I think) a year and a bit ago. it was low use and on the same piston as far as I could tell. I fitted an hour meter and have since done 80 odd hours on it and it sounds the same, and performs the same as when I got it..... bags of compression too. I am used to high maintenance enduro bikes, so the gasser is relatively bombproof in comparison. I change the gearbox oil every 10 hrs and run it on 50:1 premix with castrol power 1 fully synth 2t oil. the air filter - which i still find a p.i.t.a to change - is kept spotless and oiled with putoline filter oil. I asked a similar Q to yours on this forum and I think that the general advice was just ride it. its been a good bike - my advice to you is, if you get it, is to take it apart and grease all the chassis bearings.

Good advice there fella thanks.

To be honest, if I go and have a look I doubt I will even be able to tell that anything is wrong with it.

I know being a dealer they will have an 'ear' for picking these things out, but if it were a private listing I really don't think I would notice.

Perhaps for what I want to use it for it's not going to be a big deal......we shall see.

Overal though I guess that this model is a pretty decent bike?

'' a pretty decent bike?''

yes. when I got mine I took it apart and greased the linkage/steering/wheel bearings etc, changed the gearbox oil from atf to castrol power 1 10w 30, changed the coolant, changed the brake and clutch fluid and fitted the hour meter and new c+s. the only fails have been the seal in the clutch master cylinder (easy fix) and a broken kickstart lever as I binned it on a stretch of unfinished civil engineering works (don't ask!!)

I bought an 05 250 20 months ago, got to say its a great bike to start again on. Mine was low use, good nick and runs well and was perfect for me getting back into it after 20yrs! It's got enough manageable and controllable grunt, easy to ride and is still miles better than I am. Bike is easy to maintain, just keep the filter clean, change the oil regularly and keep it greased up and it'll treat you right. If you get one just make sure you buy a carb spacer from cambs trials as it saves a whole load of effort cleaning and refitting the air filter !!

• Like 1

Don't mistake piston noise with cluch rattle,all pro's do it.Does it go quieter if you pull in the clutch with it ticking over?Check the linkage bearings,put a stand under the bash plate and try lifting the rear wheel,any play will be obvious,good bargaining point if worn.Have a look in the airbox,well maintained bikes don't have a box full of c--p.Look for chewed up bolt heads and general bodging,if it all seems ok you'll love it,they were great bikes and not hugely different from the present one

• Like 1

Plenty to think about there chaps so thanks very much.

The proof is in the pudding.....apparently, so better go and see it.

You know I have to ask don't you? :)

All I can say is ...... the dualling of a main A road presents some great trial riding oppurtunities ;)

• Like 1

Well that wasn't a very successful trip......

Overal condition of the bike was ok, nice straight frame etc, but it does look like the poor thing has been neglected during it's time with the previous owner.

The chain was bone dry, the top end was very rattley....not just a little bit but oh my god thats a racket, there was a nice steady leak from the fuel tap where the previous owner tried to fix a leak with a bolt and silicone sealer!

Part of the air filter housing was cracked, which wasn't that big of a deal, but the other side had broke off at some point and was stuck on with what looked like glue from a glue gun.

So all in all a bit of a mess. Certainly not worth anywhere near the £999 asking price....£500 max I would say.

The chap at the dealer, who was very helpful, said that it would be a risk buying the bike.

If there are that many things obviously wrong there was no way of telling what horrors could be lurking underneath, so needless to say I walked away......so the hunt continues.

Sorry it didn't work out but you are right to walk away if it doesn't feel right. As far as pistons go these electroplated cylinders don't go through pistons anywhere near what the old steel cylinder bikes used to so a set of rings is usually a good refresh.

• Like 1

Sorry it didn't work out but you are right to walk away if it doesn't feel right. As far as pistons go these electroplated cylinders don't go through pistons anywhere near what the old steel cylinder bikes used to so a set of rings is usually a good refresh.

Yeah bit of a shame really, nevermind.

These bikes tend to be few and far between down here which makes it hard to walk away.

I have seen loads for sale but not really keen on the trek to go and view, but as time ticks by I am slowly coming to terms with the fact that it's probably something I'm going to have to do.

Lets have a little browse of eBay shall we......