Starting My 14 Year Old On A Trials. 80 Or 125?

daveharmon

Hi

My son has just turned 14 and wants to start trials. We live newr to Nash Mills site and I have a Beta tr 33 myself.

its obviously to big and heavy for him to start and ride properly, and I have been considering a Beta 80 or Beta 125.

My son is about 5ft tall and lightly built.

Can anyone let me know if the 80cc will suit him or if we should go for a 125?

Many thanks

Dave

Very difficult to advise on this. What would be ideal is a 100cc with Ty80 port timing and 17 / 20 inch wheels.

80s tend to lack torque but may be Ok for your sons weight.

A 125 will be a bit heavy and may be hard for him to control and very difficult for him to hold upright or pick up when he gets into difficulty.

My view is he would be better and safer on an 80 at least until he gets a bit of strength and confidence. But try before you buy

My youngest lad has just got into trials and he is 13. We started him on a 06 Gasgas 125 but changed to a Scorpa 125 ( 2 stroke ) recently as the gasgas was a pig to start. He managed the Gasgas no problem and misses it as it seemed to have a much lighter front end. He manages the easier trials but struggles with the weight of the bike on the rocky sections due to his lack of upper body strength. He is quite a wee lad too

We have a 2006 beta rev 80 it's underpowered for our 14 year old who is slightly built but perfect for our youngest son who's nearly 11.

Our 14 year easily rides our ossa 280 with careful throttle control though.

A 125 would be the best buy for two years of ownership for a 14 year old although a beta rev 125 is not as powerful as a beta evo 125 for example.

Good Luck !

Thanks for a the responses.

I will get him to try an 80 for size and weight before we go any further. It might be he will grow out of it in a year or two.

But I'd prefer thst he didnt get overwhelmed or losemconfidence if he cant pick up or handle the 125'properly.

• Like 1

From my experience with my son, we got the 125 when he was 12 or 13 after he kept wanting to ride my TL125. He startted on the begginer route with a slow action throttle and soon gained confidence and although the bike was a bit big for him at first it didnt bother him and as said, they start to grow like weeds around that age and he is still riding the same bike at 17.

The 80s are good bikes but if he is going to keep trialing, you will be buying a bigger bike next year , guaranteed, along with bigger shirt, bigger pants, bigger boots, bigger helmet etc.

TLTEL

the beta 80 is heavier than the current 125 bikes,it is also higher at the seat and bars !!

but it is very forgiving and easy to ride,at 14 your boy is in his second year of B class

so I would go with the 125.my son is just 12 and is finding the 80 lacking in power.

take a look at how hard you have to rev the 80

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...