The Blue Boy And Lil Boy Blue Build

wfo speedracer

I am building two trials bikes, one is a TL125 that I have owned since high school and is in pretty sad shape, at least cosmetically, the other one is an 87 TLR200 Reflex that started as a roller and then I acquired another parts bike with a complete engine. The engine while complete has some issues, mainly one being that some one welded on the kickstarter to the shaft.

Let me start this by saying I am a cheap a*** , if there is ever a question of why something was done a certain way , you can probably refer back to this statement for your answer.

I have looked at pretty much every TL200 build here and I do love some of the color schemes , especially the red white and blue ones, but I have not seen one done up in silver and blue yet.

My 1975 TL125 needs a repaint so I thought why not paint them both back to factory specs or at least close, it probably won't be an exact match because I am using candy paint which I have most of already, refer back to the second sentence.

Anyway follow along if you will , I may have a question or two along the way you can help me with , I will try to post some pics later today.

I installed a cutting board - number plate and a repainted set of Bernie Schreiber replica bars , I also installed new grips , a set of Sunline perches and levers with stainless allen heads in place of the stock screws and, a set of aluminum footpegs.

I repair watercraft for a living so anyplace I can put a stainless fastener in place of a steel one I will, after all they are free !

On the TLR anyplace I can save weight I will, I want it as light as possible, I have a good background in composites so expect to see some carbon fiber components installed before this project is completed.

Last pic is of the ATC200X engine, its not going to work it totally fouls the rear brake lever, time to tear into the TLR bottom end !

0128141043_zpsb77cf34d.jpg

0128141042c_zps1a870ea3.jpg

0128141042b_zps919c2ede.jpg

0128141042a_zpsabcdf566.jpg

I was running those Bernie bars on the 125, I decided they would get more use on the TLR so I swapped them, after mounting the TLR bars up and taking the 125 for a spin I discovered the stock TLR bars were bent. I think I will be looking for a set of stock TL125 bars to replace these with.

Back in my younger days I used to manhandle the bars back into shape, 25 years of turning wrenches has taken its toll, I now have carpal tunnel in both arms, I just don't think I have it in me to try and straighten these maybe with a big a*** cheater bar lol.

Edited by wfo speedracer

hi I have the same bikes, The TL, I have had since 1979 and did a rebuild on it about six or seven years ago. mine was in far worse condition than yours.

I sprayed it as original, orange and silver. ill see if I can get a photo of it at the weekend.

Tlr is original, red, white and blue, sadly I dont ride either of them much as I prefer the power of my 350 gas gas.

I have a CG125 engine mount in my garage and I am sure its the same as the TLR one..

TLTEL

A TL125 transmission wont fit a TLR 200 crankcase. However the XR200 transmission is a bolt in as long as it is from a 1980-1984 XR.

Looking at the gear ratios the TLR has the closest ratios for the first three gears of all the 185-200 series engines, almost as close as the TL125, I believe I will just go with the TLR gears .

Just FYI, the candy sapphire blue TL is a K1 model from 1974. The frame and engine number should start with 11#####.

I think the TLR would look sharp in the same livery. I was going to do a Reflex in that paint scheme but I found a TLR250 and haven't looked back.

Edited by tlrider