Assembly Of Ossa Mar Yokes

basketcase

Ooopps!! Hit the wrong button!

As I was saying....the parts I have are, from the bottom yoke up; 1x large dished washer, 1x felt seal, 1x small washer, bottom bearing, top bearing, 1x small washer, 1x felt seal, 1x large washer. The problem being is that on the custGP site it shows a large washer in between the top felt seal and large washer. My bike is as original as you`ll find a 40 year old bike, I think. Will it matter if I reassemble without said washer??

Cheers in advance, basketcase.

The problem being is that on the custGP site it shows a large washer in between the top felt seal and large washer.

Not sure I follow this bit. You have all the parts you need as you've listed them in the sentence before that one.

Starting with the bottom yoke. The large washer with a felt ring is the dust seal. Fit that first. On top of that fit the shim / spacer (what you've called the small washer) Then the bearing. Slide that into the headstock, then fit the top bearing, spacer, then dust seal with felt ring. Now fit the retaining nut to hold the yokes in and adjust the bearings for tightness.

I think this may be where you're getting confused with another washer. Some parts diagrams show what looks like a large washer but what's probably a knurled circular nut instead of a conventional hexagonal nut. On the diagram it probably looks like a big washer. I've never actually seen one of these, all the bikes I've ever had used hexagonal nuts.

You'll probably find your bike has a hexagonal nut, not the knurled type, so you should have two hexagonal nuts. Your your parts diagram only shows one - positioned above the top yoke? The thicker, tapered nut holds the top yoke. The thinner flatter one holds the bottom yoke and adjusts bearing tightness.

Fit the top yoke and secure with the nut and pinch bolt.

Now I see where you`re coming from!! It all worked ok before I stripped it down so I couldn`t understand why there had to be another washer! There isn`t!! The top nut on my bike is chromed, the other isn`t so there`s no mistaking which is which.

Many thanks woody.

Upon reassembling the first fork I had problems, as you predicted, tightening up the bolt in the bottom of the fork leg. I used a spot of thread lock on the bolt and a hacksaw blade to hold the stanchion. Worked a treat!!