Gaerne Boots

scot taco

• 2 weeks later...

• 1 month later...

I've just completed my 4th trial with my new Gaerne Balance Oiled boots and they are (so far) brilliant.

They are the most comfortable item of footwear I own and come up looking new again with a quick wash and dubbin after every trial.

They have remained completely waterproof so far in some horribly wet conditions.

• 2 months later...

They're gonna be my next boots. After owning Alpinestars I'm going back to Gearne's

Guys, I'm curious..... Why???? I was actually considering trying a set of Alpinestars.

I have a set that is around 1.5 years old. As far as comfort & fit, I agree completely with the video. These things absolutely ROCK my world in that department. And again, as far as the abilty to allow some "feel" for Trials riding, I think they're wonderful again. I like these boots a lot, but......

I've had to have the soles "re-sewn" back on, after only around 6-8 months of use, if I recall correctly. The stitching came loose at both the toes & heels, on both boots. The sorta yellowish colored lower sole separated from the black mid-sole after the stitching came loose. Chose to have them repaired locally. It happened again a short while after I had them repaired! This time I stuffed a bunch of a flexible rubber cement/glue called Shoe Goo in between the lower & mid-soles, and it's held up beautifully. The boots are still as flexible & waterproof as ever, and no more "floppy/drooping" soles at the front/toe parts of the boots. Same for the heels as well; the Shoe Goo works really well. But to me, after what I paid for these boots, and after what I further invested in a repair, I really don't feel that this should ever have to be done.

Please don't misinterpret this as "blasting" Gaerne's product. Like I said above, I really like certain things about these boots. And to be fair to Gaerne, I am a Novice/Intermediate level rider that has poor technique, and is probably harder on equipment than some better skilled riders may be; I dunno. I also had them repaired locally because I badly wanted to ride an event with them at that time, and chose not to send them back to Gaerne, thinking I probably wouldn't get the boots back in time to ride with. That turned out to be a bust, as, like I said above, I still "fixed" them with Shoe Goo.....

As I sit here now, I just got the news today that I've broken the Talus bone in my ankle. Did it while practicing Floater turns, and dabbed fairly hard, causing the bone fracture. I was wondering if there may be a more "protective" brand of boots out there??? Again, I'm not blaming the Gaernes, or expecting them to cover for my lack of good riding technique. But again, I do wonder if maybe there may be better boots for a floundering squid like myself.....

Jimmie

On the "broken talus bone in ankle: Turned out to not be broken. Have Rheumatoid Arthritis instead.....

Edited by mr neutron

Guys, I'm curious..... Why???? I was actually considering trying a set of Alpinestars.

Jimmie

By all means, try the Alpinestars Jimmie, they're a good pair of boots and they offer better protection than the Gearne's.

On the other hand it seemed to take ages to break them in, before they felt good on my feet.

I felt more in touch with my bike when I had the Gearne's and they are more comfortable, they also seem to suit my wide feet better.

As with trial helmets it's a personal thing, what's suits one person may not suit another

• Like 1

Got the boots, they are seriously comfortable! Like slippers! Lightweight and plush on the inside. Just wore em to work to break em in but I don't think they even need it. These are really sweet, can't wait to ride with them this weekend.

• Like 1

By all means, try the Alpinestars Jimmie, they're a good pair of boots and they offer better protection than the Gearne's.

On the other hand it seemed to take ages to break them in, before they felt good on my feet.

I felt more in touch with my bike when I had the Gearne's and they are more comfortable, they also seem to suit my wide feet better.

As with trial helmets it's a personal thing, what's suits one person may not suit another

I get what you're saying, Guy! One thing I really like about the Gaernes is the fact that they are very, very comfortable. :thumbup: They're good for walking sections, reasonably waterproof, and they offer what I would say is a really nice "feel" for the controls & pegs. They allow your ankles to bend fairly easily, something necessary to ride Trials.

I hope I've found a deal that will work with the boots, and still help my ankle somewhat. My Dr. gave me an ankle brace that seems just tailor-made for someone like myself that wants to (try to) ride Trials. It should fit easily inside my Gaernes; will see how it works in a few weeks or so, after the ankle mends some more......

Dandabs hit on something about the Gaernes that I had forgotten about; they do take very little-to-no break in time at all. A very nice feature..... I hope your new boots keep working well for you, Dandabs!

Jimmie

In EDIT: I fixed a spelling error. Left out the letter "k" in the word walking......

Edited by mr neutron
  • Like 1