Sherco Gear Selector Problem

dom1f

Hi Guys

Been having a few problems with my 2002 Sherco 250 gear selector.

First, I was not able to change gear and the lever was flopping about. This was diagnosed as a sheared shift shaft on the pawl assembly.

So I got a new one, new return spring, new pawl assembly spring and oil seal. I also changed the clutch plates and put in a new clutch basket while I was in there and a new gasket.

All back together and one mornings riding later and it is clear that something is not right. I could only select 1st or 2nd gear and the lever was not returning.

So I do a bit more research and realise I have not installed the return spring properly, so I take it all apart again.

Anyway tonight I have properly installed the return spring but the lever still does not return. I have read elsewhere on here that there is a moulding on the casing that may fix that once I re-assemble it.

The other issue is that the pawl assembly does not seem to be engaging with the index shim and selector drum and only turns it about half a turn and back again.

Any idea if that is normal? If not how do I fix it?

Thanks

Gotta pic? Best I recall the return spring must be spread to enguage a pin on the case so the arms if it are parallel and all goes into position so the pawls align with the drum and pins. Pthe pawls will simply ratchet when the drum rotates. Although, you may need to turn the chainwheel so things align and enguage fully to the next gear selected, as one may not necessarily just fly through all gears while stationary simply because you are moving the lever.

Thanks copemech.

Will try turning the chain wheel tonight, seems obvious now you say that.

The return spring is set up like this pic from the splatshop website

photo-0128.jpg

I will try and get a pic of it in situ with the casing tonight.

Had a look at the pictures on splatshop again and that got me thinking, so I turned the spring round and hey presto the ends of the spring stick out further and engage with the moulding. So that's sorted then.

Put the chain back on and turned the chain wheel and have managed to change through a few more gears so I think that will be OK once it is back together.

So I will whack it back together and see how it goes.