Original Pre-65 Class

ttspud

Hi Suzuki & Fanatic,

Yes, as the 2-stroke question above, it is likely that the rules could be applied in the same way to other pre-65 bikes, as the Spanish machines you suggest, though neither would be eligible to ride at the events I have ridden at which were all British, 4-stroke & pre-unit anyway.

'What is an original pre-65'? Well, the rules will make that very clear and unambiguous.

'Who would scrutinize the 40+ bikes'? Firstly, of course it is only those entered as 'Original' that would need the extra attention for that, and it is likely that only events that did scrutinize before would want to include the distinction for originals anyway. And if 40+ bikes have entered as original, that would be amazing.

Thanks Guys,

TTSpud :)

That’s all well and good, but even if only 6 bikes turn up, who could (or even want to ) scrutinise these bikes to component level

What about bantams with 185cc engines with full billet cranks & Suzuki pistons / bikes with Carrillo rods, Electronic ignitions, hidden fork internals, modified gearboxes ect….. not easy to spot!

What about the riders that are adamant that they are genuine, have a look at some past posts on sprites (yet another can of worms)

I’ve made some titanium parts for a few people, that weigh next to nothing, could you spot these on a Sunday morning?

The idea is nice but I’m afraid, its just a pipe dream, I think the horse bolted one this on in 1966?

Edited by suzuki250
  • Like 2

That’s all well and good, but even if only 6 bikes turn up, who could (or even want to ) scrutinise these bikes to component level

What about bantams with 185cc engines with full billet cranks & Suzuki pistons / bikes with Carrillo rods, Electronic ignitions, hidden fork internals, modified gearboxes ect…..

What about the riders that are adamant that they are genuine, have a look at some past posts on sprites (yet another can of worms)

I’ve made some titanium parts for a few people, that weigh next to nothing, could you spot these on a Sunday morning?

The idea is nice but I’m afraid, its just a pipe dream, I think the horse bolted one this on in 1966?

:agreed:

Hi Suzuki & Fanatic,

Yes, there will be things that are going to be awkward, to a degree. Engine internals obviously. But there are many others that are visual such as frame, hubs, carburettor, mag electrics, seat, tank, mudguards, forks and so on, that will not be.

And most likely if someone has gone as far as titanium parts, they are going to have changed everything else anyway, and would already want to ride a modified.

This will not affect those riding the modifieds. They will continue as before. It they want a carbon frame, so be it. Someone'll make them one and they'll be able to gain an advantage to other modified riders.

Thanks,

TTSpud

Hi,

Suzuki250,

Your horse that bolted in 1966 must have had an in-built telepathic crystal ball - I was one of the three organisers of the first ever pre-65 trial, and that was in August 1971.......

If you look in my Offroad Archive Classic trials post you might notice the number of clubs organising trials (just like the ones that ttspud proposes) in 1999 - and in my British Bike championship for that year 476 different riders entered in at least three events in the series.

Enjoy, we always used to!!!!!!!

Edited by laird387

Hi,

Suzuki250,

Your horse that bolted in 1966 must have had an in-built telepathic crystal ball - I was one of the three organisers of the first ever pre-65 trial, and that was in August 1971.......

If you look in my Offroad Archive Classic trials post you might notice the number of clubs organising trials (just like the ones that ttspud proposes) in 1999 - and in my British Bike championship for that year 476 different riders entered in at least three events in the series.

Enjoy, we always used to!!!!!!!

I can assure you that most bikes used in pre65 in the 80's & 90's would not fit in the "Original" class as suggested

greeves anglian, 4 speed bantams & Bantams with B175 engines......?

I think it’s a nice idea, just don’t think it would work

And most people seem to have as much fun as they did 15 years ago!!!!!!

Note: If you fit billet yokes & trick forks, you may need to get some anti-depressants at the same time :thumbup:

I've been warned by the godfather of pre65, So I’m saying nothing else on this thread!

Edited by suzuki250
  • Like 2

Hi,

Suzuki250,

You may also of coined the phrase pre65 but people were competing on classic bikes long before 1971

Have a look though some old 50’s Motor Cycle magazines, there are events for bikes manufactured before the war WW1 & WW2

And you can bet they had arguments about the bikes!

You also posted a picture of a very nice rigid trials bike in an early pre65 meeting, this would not qualify for the original class. It has Renthal braced bars a modern twist grip & levers

Also if you have a look at a few other photos, plenty of Renthal bars, marzocchi & NJB shocks around in the 90’s!!!!!!

Edited by suzuki250
  • Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

i may be a bit late in adding my bit but here goes ,my first bike was i 1966 greeves and progressed through ariel ht bsa b40 , b44 triumph 500 , mz 250 cotton wassell 125 saracen 150 fantic bultaco loads of home made specials ,have ridden in most events from club to british championship with some success over the years i have noticed that sections got harder to take marks of of the so called experts, the pre 65 or classic trials were nearly extinct it felt until a certain gentleman i think got talking to the lads from yorkshire , who ran the shawford shake trial for old bikes and thea classic series of trials to suit the old original bikes was started with great results,many thanks to deryk for this but over the years trick bikes crept in , and to some of us it was getting harder and more dangerous, i still ride and like to do well ,but riding a rigid 600 panther that is ideal for original events does not work at the talmag sitting rocking on the crankcase at the top of most sections is fun at first but gets a bit anoying, so i have built a lighter panther , with hindsight make the section to suit the original bikes ,no need to have different routes if the trick bike and rider turns up and finds that a good rider on a std old trialler can beat him . he will soon either go and ride in a !modern PRE65 event! or get a std old bike to ride i will keep riding an old panther ,but have just aquired a 1969 greeves so i will be back where i started 47 years ago,the odd thing is that all of the bikes have had s/cars attached as a road racing injury in 1966 left my left leg badly damaged, but what fun i have had , will

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

Hi Guys,

Ensign 400x19 trials tyres are available along with tubes etc!!!

Perhaps this should be a stipulation to any class ? That these tyres should be used??

Look you know where I stand on this subject!!

And have done my best , and spent a considerable ,amount of time and money.

Trying to revive a Class of trial for this type of Four Stroke Trials bike.

? And there is no need for it to be extreamly l competitive .

But every time I have asked for a show of hands for a return of this event, I get Nothing.

I know we are only a few on this web site , so can only expect a few to confirm.

But I spent four months phoning competitors personally, trying to get an entry for the event.then having to compromise at the last minute ,to get an entry big enough ,to put on a show.

So what is the point in trying to even think about setting up even one trial ,let alone a series, when you get this reaction??

What makes it much more annoying is the fact that we know riders and machines are out there for what could be a brilliant event, with the side shows ETC . If every one that was at the TALMAG this last week end for instance entered . Then you would have a unbelievable event in the summer months.

But has I say No response !! Ah well.

Regards Charlie "Proper Bikes".