The 1954 Ssdt

laird387

Hi,

Images from Ray Biddle showing the James works team entered for the 1954 Scottish.

There are two of these, the wet one taken at the beginning of the week and the other at the finish of the event. As you might guess, the riders are the same in each picture - Bryan Povey, Peter Stirland and Bill Martin. This was Bryan's first Scottish as a James works rider, while Peter had made his name on his own James before getting works support. Bill had won the Pinhard Prize in 1953 when he rode a Francis-Barnett.

Bill remembers that, just as the wet picture was taken, some cold rain went down the back of his neck - hence his expression!

The James lads challenged hard for the team award in 1954, finishing second to the AJS squad.

Happily for the James enthusiasts these shots show both sides of the bikes!

Enjoy.

post-19290-0-11819700-1391434244_thumb.jpg

post-19290-0-21152300-1391434283_thumb.jpg

• Like 3

• 4 weeks later...

• 3 years later...
On 02/03/2014 at 2:32 PM, laird387 said:

Hi,

Images from Ray Biddle showing the James works team entered for the 1954 Scottish.

There are two of these, the wet one taken at the beginning of the week and the other at the finish of the event. As you might guess, the riders are the same in each picture - Bryan Povey, Peter Stirland and Bill Martin. This was Bryan's first Scottish as a James works rider, while Peter had made his name on his own James before getting works support. Bill had won the Pinhard Prize in 1953 when he rode a Francis-Barnett.

Bill remembers that, just as the wet picture was taken, some cold rain went down the back of his neck - hence his expression!

The James lads challenged hard for the team award in 1954, finishing second to the AJS squad.

Happily for the James enthusiasts these shots show both sides of the bikes!

Enjoy.

JamesTeam54Startssdt.jpg

JamesTeam54FinishSSDT.jpg

After finishing as a works rider Bill Martin went to work with my dad in Newton Abbot. As a 15 yr old I was lucky enough to be taught to ride by Bill on his ex works James, which he had been presented with when he left the company. I will look out some old photo's and see if it was this bike. I have a feeling it was. Bill was riding a Bultaco by then in 1968 and still loving his trials.

• Like 2

• 10 months later...