Earlier Ssdt.

laird387

Hi,

Another sunny Scottish - great help to photographer Bill Cole, who took this fine image of Brian Povey with his works James in the 1957 Scottish - typical Devil's Staircase viewpoint early in the day, later the shadows get you!.

post-19290-0-85690000-1392226456_thumb.jpg

Edited by laird387

Hi b40rt,

Nice to see you spotted my deliberate mistake - at least that's my story and I'm sticking to it.

Seriously though I shall now go through my SSDT entry lists and see if I can see when he rode with that number!

Sorry for the goof.

• Like 1

Hi b40rt,

The image which I incorrectly suggested was the 1989 Scottish should have read "in the 1957 Scottish......"

Bryan ended the week fourth overall, the only rider of a two-stroke in the first dozen. He was teamed with John Draper (500 BSA) and Brian Martin (350BSA) for Birmingham ‘30’ and they won the Club Team award.

The worst faux-pas, I actually owned that very bike in 1960 when I was living near Market Drayton.

Hope that makes amends.

• Like 1

Hi,

A sight that will bring back pleasant memories for many riders in earlier SSDTs. A 'Numbers Check' as ever away from the public gaze finds J McCorquodale (348BSA) and A D Peebles (347Matchless) waiting to be released.

The spectator in the flat cap above Peebles left hand is one of the more famous - or renowned - Observers of the event. You see his day job was as a representative for Haig's Whisky, and was rarely found without a few handy samples........

Enjoy.

post-19290-0-81368200-1392301168_thumb.jpg

Edited by laird387

Hi,

Meall Glas in the 1953 Scottish finds Jackie Williamson aboard his shiny new BSA B32C rigid trials model. Sadly few of this model made it through to the Pre-60 class since the frame used was common with the Daytona racer - and most on the second hand market were snapped up, converted to race spec. and sold overseas.

Enjoy this Ray Biddle image.

post-19290-0-71615800-1392304319_thumb.jpg

Edited by laird387

Hi,

In the 1961 Scottish Six Days, whilst Gordon Jackson was winning it with but a single mark dropped, R S Rutherford (250DOT) lost a couple of hundred more but went home to the Wirral with a second Class award.

It was always Offroad Review policy to publish photographs not only of the winners, as the commercial press always did, but also the also-rans - because without them THERE WOULD BE NO WINNERS!

Enjoy.

post-19290-0-96666700-1392548394_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Hi, rodt,

I reckon you are right - I was quoting from an article written for me by my dear old friend, Max King - and he used two Brian Holder photographs on the same page - so I assumed both were taken in the same year. Daft slip.

Sorry.

Hi,

Looking through some of my old glass plate negatives I found this gem, which sums up for me a typical dilemma of the 'been there, done that' variety.

Sadly I don't know the year, but it could well be on 'Mam Ratagan' judging by the viewpoint and background, one poor individual has come a cropper on the turn and now couldn't care less - his world has ended - meanwhile another competitor has rushed up on his Ariel Red Hunter and the poor observer is struggling to see whether he 'remains normally seated' so that he can mark 'NS' and sign the riders booklet.

Enjoy.

post-19290-0-62903900-1392631506_thumb.jpg

• Like 1