Pinking 2012 250

rainey88

Right slight update.

Iv found out that the bike is not actually a racing model thanks to gas gas and just a standard 250.

So someone has obviously put the keihin carb on, would this make the bike pink if the reed block isnt changed as well? As i have gone two sizes up on the pilot jet which is 50 and dont seem to be having any luck with the pinking changing same with adjusting needle height.

My friends going to lend me his dellorto so will see if it runs right with this on. If not anyone have any other ideas?

Pottering around on the bike on first half of the throttle is fine but then when you ask for the power to do something along comes the pinking asif its getting starved.

Since the plug is black and oily it looks as if its not lean mixture that is causing pinking. It could be carbon deposits in combustion chamber, either because they are glowing causing "pre ignition" pinking or because they are raising the compression causing "detonation" pinking.

PS before anyone picks me up on, pre ignition and detonation I have put them in "".

Unless the squish clearance is within spec you are wasting your time messing with the carb. Also you need to know what your insert is doing to combustion chamber pressure, If it is a high pressure insert yo may need to run on Avgas or premium fuel with an octane booster.

• Like 1

Update the bike seems to not pink as bad with a 50 pilot and needle raised to the max although it is slightly there still. But obviously running it like that it is rather rich from the amount of fuel its getting.

Can anyone with a racing tell me if after the keihin carb do they have the rubber adapter that the airbox slots onto?

If i remember rightly a while back someone made alloy adapters for the dellorto is there any for the keihin?

Nope the intake from the air box fits right on the Keihin. The Delorto is the only carb that uses that. The rubber adaptor is a pain if its just not right too. Lewis Sport here in the states has them. Best investment you can make to the delorto carb. Saves you 30 minutes of swearing.

--Biff