Mini Van And Truck Questions

rob214

I recently test drove a new Ram Promaster as this is the best all around vehicle I can see for both work and play for me. I was very surprised how good it felt. I like the motor, and gas mileage, and the fact its front wheel drive. They are pretty cheap when comparing too....might be the ticket!

I have a truck and for security I just run a 15 or 30 foot cable through the frame of the bikes and the ramp and then run my combination-locking hitch pin through the loop. I suppose people could get clever and start unbolting parts if they were resourceful enough but I find that most thefts are crimes of opportunity.

I had a friend buy a Sherco at the world round last year. Before his son ever rode it, it was stole in his drive way locked as exactly you describe in the back of the truck. I`m a firm believer that vans are the best way to go. No seeum, no stealem`.

I purchased two folding locks from the Yamaha dealer I worked at in 1985. I still use them daily. They are similar to the Kryptonite, maybe stronger. They have a chain like swivel every 8 inches. Easily stored and easy to use. While traveling I also use a cable around a seat base. Bikes locked front and rear. Too bad the Yamaha locks have not been available for years!

Edited by lineaway
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...

And cooler heads prevail yet again.. screw new diesel... every thing I see is 50 grand. If I am going to go across the country, (Texas is a freekin' country of it's own folks. Anything that takes you 14 hours to drive one way across at speed limits is a freekin' country. It is big!) I want a larger vehicle. I want something so my gear is out of sight, and out of mind. I want something that will take a hit, go through more than a few inches of mud, snow, or dirty clothing. Minny vans don't fly off road. I do NOT want to pedal a 4 cylinder or for that matter V6 up hill carrying a load of give or take a half ton and have to mat the gas pedal to maintain 55 and not get run over. To do this i have to run a slightly bigger motor, i need about 4.5-6L and hope i have an automatic trans. Hey, the automatic is a luxury item for me, for years i have driven a 5 speed. To get the bikes I ride in and out, (trials, MX, Supermoto, Duel Sport, and Sport bike, so far...) I need a taller hatch. I would like to include a buddy or two in my shenanigans, so I need a bit of space. Give me a full size van for this and I will be a happy man. The Nissan, even used is still 15k, but I can get used E-250 EXT pas anger vans for 7K and it be a VERRY good example of its breed. Sorry, E-vans for me. And I hate ford! Oh ! Then I can hitch my friends camp trailer to it and STILL get 15 MPG running uphill into Colorado.

P.S. My two pennies...

Blip,

Enjoy the ride Amigo...