Gas Gas Parts Nightmare!

expat_boy

Hi all,

I have been trying to get a rear brake piston and seal kit for the HEBO caliper off my 2000 Gas Gas TXT 200. I have been waiting 8 weeks for Gas Gas UK to send the parts and they keep telling me they cant control when Gas Gas Spain sends the parts! I have been waiting months to ride and its annoying the hell out of me!

I cleaned the pistons and polished them and tried cleaning the seals and caliper so they are perfect but the pistons still stick on the damaged old seals.

Any ideas as to a possioble solution rather than wait longer?

Would a different caliper fit? HELPPPPPPPPPPPPPPP!!!

Cheers

Are you sure you have got the seal grooves completely cleaned out. Even a minute amount of corrosion in the groove can cause the symptoms you describe.

If you can get a dentists examination mirror to thoroughly check the seal groove.To clean the grooves properly you need to make a hooked scraper then polish them out with fine or medium wire wool wedged in so it takes on the shape of the groove.

You are far from the first person to be fed up with GGs failure to carry brake spares in stock.

You could try a new, stronger spring.

I have not heard of a Hebo master cylinder. You can change it for an AJP one from about the same age bike.

Just make sure the bolt centres are the same and when you fit it make sure you still have free play on the push rod.

Sure SPLATSHOP list them and it is probably the same as the Sherco one anyway.

8 weeks is way too long, 8 days is too long!

TLTEL

My Mistake, obviously not paying attention....

But, Are you sure the problem isn't at the other end, as in, is the piston in the master cylinder moving freely and is there free play on the push rod.

If the piston isn't going all the way back then fluid wont return and brake will stick.

TLTEL

I have used a paperclip with a hook to clean out all the crap from the caliper where the seal goes in.

I bought a brand new master cylinder as the old one was in bad shape.

When I bought the bike the seals has to be blown out with an airline and 2 mechanics they were so badly corroded in.

I have called loads of Gas gas parts shops and nobody has the parts or a new complete caliper.

People mentioned getting an AJP caliper but would this a) fit onto the brake line and B) onto the swingarm?

If so which year would fit?

Cheers

You say it was corroded, you scratched it up with a paper clip but never said if you actually got it apart. You needed to get it apart without ruining it for the kit to work. Try this link. http://www.trialscentral.com/forums/topic/37048-trials-bike-breakers/?hl=%2Btrials+%2Bbreakers

Did you try trials parts usa which is the American gas gas importer?

By the way almost any 4 pot front AJP should work.

http://www.ajpamerica.com/calipers.html

Edited by lineaway
  • Like 1

Oh yes brings back memories. Quite honestly your dealing with a 14 year old part . i repaired both front and back calipers 18 month ago and got 4 genuine piston sets and seals next day from GasGas . Have you checked the caliper side labyrinths, which the seals sit in? Mine had a yellow, caked on deposit (corrosion),which i removed with a Dremel . I'd say the repair was successful as they work ,but they're crap to bleed up,the pistons are good but there action leave's allot to be desired,and they need constant attention to keep working properly.

You have to remember that Gasgas are small time compared to a multi national corporate giant like Honda. Also, getting parts can be a bit err.. Manyana .

Myself,i'd say if you're a bit handy fabricating, see if something else can be made to fit from maybe a beta as maybe the calipers are Brembo and some Italian,possibly French scooter parts will fit and be readily available.Just a suggestion to help you find a way .

Good luck and keep us posted.

just a rider on that , i think possibly Hebo are just AJP with a different badge name.

Ted.

Edited by shyted

You say it was corroded, you scratched it up with a paper clip but never said if you actually got it apart. You needed to get it apart without ruining it for the kit to work. Try this link. http://www.trialscentral.com/forums/topic/37048-trials-bike-breakers/?hl=%2Btrials+%2Bbreakers

Did you try trials parts usa which is the American gas gas importer?

By the way almost any 4 pot front AJP should work.

http://www.ajpamerica.com/calipers.html

Lineaway ,this is first rate options you've posted here.As i stated in my post ,i think fabrication is the way forward and use something readily available. as I like to say ,"if you can't,win cheat!"

If I remember correctly, the rear caliper mount was made for the front caliper. Very simple design using the same front and rear. The `Hebo` caliper was Gas Gas own brand, never liked them from the start.

Just bolted on from a different position and a bit of adaption.

As for liking them i think they make better door stops and paper weights than motor cycle brake's.

As for their branding i think the lettering should have read "HEEVO" not "HEBO" if you know what i mean.

They are in fact nothing but a source of frustration.