Trials Demos In Canada

michael_t

Just wanted to note that this year we are having Trials demonstrations right across this big country of ours. By working with the Canadian Motorcycle Show the sport of Trials has been given some great visibility. Last year Jordon Szokes had done a few shows out West and in Toronto. This year I jumped on the band wagon and tried to organize a show for the East Coast. In my efforts to organize it I found out that Stephen Fotheringham with ATAQ was already planning a Demo for Quebec city and Montreal. The Moncton show was the week in between the 2 shows so the show organizer was able to transport all the staging between the three shows and the Belanger family was nice enough to ride all three shows ! I should note that Jonathan English had also offered to fly I and ride the Moncton Show but it ended up being simpler to have Paul-Yvan and his children do all 3 shows.

It is simply awesome to see the sport pulling together and getting out into the mainstream. The most common thing I hear at shows is "I didn't know people rode trials in Canada" doing shows like this makes a big difference IMO.

The Moncton show is on this weekend and Montreal is next week... I should note that the Montreal fire Marshall would not allow a gas bike indoors so they will be riding the new EM electric trials bike - very cool !

Here are some pictures from the Quebec City Demo...

http://www.ataq.qc.ca/galerie/index.php?folder=/Evenements/20140208-2014-Salon-de-la-moto-%28QC%29/

I am also on schedule for putting together my first indoor event here in NS March 7,8,9. as part of the Halifax Outdoor Show. The past 2 years we have done a demo but this year I figured an "event' would be a good way to really show what the sport was about and how it is scored. It will have advanced and novice classes but have only heard from 3 (advanced) riders so far... I am really hoping to be able to talk a few of the novice riders into it, as I feel people would be interested in seeing a variety of skills and it would encourage more people to give it a try... plus I wouldn't be the only novice hard to believe but after all this time I am still the worse trials rider in the Maritimes. :wall::D

Cheers,

Michael T.

Edited by michael_t

Well done Michael for all your efforts,- However, I should point out that Trials demos have been going on at bike shows all across Canada for at least three decades - Stan Bakgaard used to put them on in the 1980's -While the ATRA, SGC and CPTA clubs always do their best to promote at these shows. - You are correct of course in saying that many people are not aware of our sport, so any exposure has to be a good thing - keep up the good work - Sorry to hear the last day of your Moncton show had to be cancelled because of the snow-storm.

Thanks Dave,

I wasn't aware of any demos on this coast in the last 10 years or so... sounds like we have some catching up to do :).

Paul Yvan and his family put on one heck of a show - Got lots of people talking (and hopefully a few new riders)

I was glad to hear they made it back to Quebec in one piece despite the snow storm.

Cheers,

Michael T.

Back in the 80s we used to ride in the then Cycle Canada show that was held in BC Place stadium. Stan Bakgaard used to promote and set up these shows that were hugely popular.There is still some great video around of these shows, and some of the sections would be intimidating even today ( 30 ft high scaffold staircases) As riders, we were even paid quite well for 3 days of riding! ah the good ol days! :thumbup:

Hey Steve,

You make a great point. These shows are a fantastic way to make some money for the sport. I typically take the funds and put the money towards the rest of the events in the year. It all goes through the local not for profit off road riders association so it is totally transparent where the money comes from and where it goes.

• 3 weeks later...

Having an Awesome time this weekend with our indoor event. We have 9 riders and are doing head to head riding followed by a more traditional section. We have 1hr twice a day for Fri, Sat and Sun but we also have an hour or more of warm up time in the morning... great fun to have indoor riding this time of year. By the afternoon show there are a couple thousand spectators... Even got to play on my new Sherco X-Ride.

check out the gallery...

http://dualsport.smugmug.com/2014-Ride-Reports/2014-03-08-NS-Trials/

There was actually a pretty decent crowd...

indoorshow2014_zps8ecc0785.jpg

Cheers,

Michael

Edited by michael_t

• 3 weeks later...

Hello Michael, I started riding moto trials in 2010. In 2012 I did a trials demo up here in Fort Mcmurray, AB. I would like to organize a bigger demo one of these years, possibly on Canada Day Long weekend. Back in 2008, Dangerous Dan Cowan and two other came up to do a Mountain Bike Demo, Freeride Demo. I have contacted some US riders, to see if they were interested, still in the works.

Hey 68,

I found that the side by side event was well received and was fun to do if you have the space. It is great if you can do it as part of another event... maybe even get paid to do it :). It certainly helps build interest in the sport and can be a lot of fun. If it isn't a timed event (race) it can typically be covered under the WTC insurance policy like any other trials event... but the riders should still have basic liability insurance coverage on their bikes (which not all riders bother with) as you are typically closer to the public than you are in the woods.

Hey 68,

I found that the side by side event was well received and was fun to do if you have the space. It is great if you can do it as part of another event... maybe even get paid to do it :). It certainly helps build interest in the sport and can be a lot of fun. If it isn't a timed event (race) it can typically be covered under the WTC insurance policy like any other trials event... but the riders should still have basic liability insurance coverage on their bikes (which not all riders bother with) as you are typically closer to the public than you are in the woods.