Slow Action Throttle On A 125 ?

ar22

my 12 year old has an 07 125

he can ride it really well on rocks and areas with grip

but if the ground is wet and slippy he is hopeless, he just spins up the back wheel and goes no where

I understand that its a throttle control issue and that practice makes perfect

but in the short term we (him and me) have discussed a slower throttle

is this a good idea on such a small capacity bike ?

also the clutch seems sharp and isnt helping as its helping to break traction, is there a way to soften it a bit ?

many thanks

You have a very lucky 12 year old.

Have him try a higher gear. That cam make a big difference. Slow throttle may help by requiring more twist for the same throttle slide movement.

Can he slip the clutch? Have him squat down more. This lowers the weight and give more grip.

Remind him that in low grip situations you usually can go faster by trying to go slow. Less throttle is more grip.

Weight way back, toes on the pegs ankles dropped. He has to learn patience with the throttle. The black tube throttle may help, but it sounds more like it`s in his head. Tire pressure? Higher gear won`t help if he is not good on the clutch.

cheers for the replies

he's a motocrosser primarily and only rides the trials bike in the winter (yes he's a very lucky 12 year old) , so he likes the throttle

hes just too snappy with the throttle and clutch,

bike runs well and the tyre is new

I just need him to calm down a bit opening the throttle,

is there a way to soften the clutch a bit ? it is sharp and its in tight turns he has real bother coming off the clutch

I think I will order a slow action as they are cheap and see how it goes

If he is a motocrosser, the problem is not the bike. Fast or slow throttle tube makes no difference if they are whacked wide open by the rider.

Here's a suggestion: Set out some markers (beer cans, water bottles, anything) in a straight line and have him weave in and out through them. Trick here is he can only use the clutch to start and stop at the end. Not while turning. Start with big spaces between the markers and gradually move them closer together. He will have to learn to be gentle on the throttle.

Another practice is to do figure 8's and gradually make the turns sharper until you are on full lock.

I recall Ryan Young saying that a Novice rider should be able to ride a Novice section without touching the clutch.

Try the slow action tube, it cant do any harm, only about a tenner. Also make sure the biting point of the clutch is at a comfortable reach on the lever.

Some people remove a couple of springs from the clutch to make them less grabby, or experiment with different oils in the gearbox.

TLTEL

Try the slow action tube, it cant do any harm, only about a tenner. Also make sure the biting point of the clutch is at a comfortable reach on the lever.

Some people remove a couple of springs from the clutch to make them less grabby, or experiment with different oils in the gearbox.

TLTEL

I will get the tube ordered

I will check the clutch span adjustment, this is something I haven't looked at

like the idea of removing 2 clutch springs, will the clutch not slip ?

thanks

I will get the tube ordered

I will check the clutch span adjustment, this is something I haven't looked at

like the idea of removing 2 clutch springs, will the clutch not slip ?

thanks

A 125 should hold clutch well enough with two opposing springs out and make it a bit smoother on progression. However, all that rev and pop stuff will not work in the slick mud or even grass.

If you want a good example, just find a slick turn and put the bike into third gear. This forces the clutch use for feel of traction. Rev the motor all you want or need, but the clutch application must be smooth feeling for grip and hopefully keep moving smoothly brcause starting up again causes more issues. Smooth and progressive finds grip where there is little!

• 4 weeks later...

my 12 year old has an 07 125

he can ride it really well on rocks and areas with grip

but if the ground is wet and slippy he is hopeless, he just spins up the back wheel and goes no where

I understand that its a throttle control issue and that practice makes perfect

but in the short term we (him and me) have discussed a slower throttle

is this a good idea on such a small capacity bike ?

also the clutch seems sharp and isnt helping as its helping to break traction, is there a way to soften it a bit ?

many thanks

Don't change anything....he'll figure it out. That's half the fun.
  • Like 1