Sherpa 250 Vs Sherpa 175?

fish06

Can anybody tell me how the early 70's 250 and 175 bikes compare (to each other)? Am I right in thinking the 175 was the same bike as the 250 but just with a reduced bore size? I used to have a 74 250 which I really liked, and now I'm on the look out for another early 70's-ish Sherpa, should I just be looking for a 250 or is the 175 a good proposition?

Thanks all.

I competed at schoolboy level on a 175 Sherpa back in the day (1976 ish) up to the age of about 17 when I was really struggling for power simply because I grew and got heavier. I moved to a Beamish 250 (which I still have). The 250 had more go but to my mind was never as good a trials bike. Year later I have acquired and restored my dream bike from the 70's - a 350 Sherpa, and I'm not disappointed. So much of it is just the same as I remember but the performance is way better. So my short answer would be, go 250 or 350 every time. But it really depends on what you weigh. Hope that helps.

The 175 came out in 1978 and is an early 1978 250 sleeved down. The early '78 250 is pretty much the same as a '76 and '77 250 and quite different from the Pre-76 250 that you had.

So if you buy a 175, just boring it back out to 250 will give you a '76 - '78 spec 250 (which had a different frame from the '76 - '78 350)

The 175 was done for the rental market which had a restriction on engine size in some countries. It was never really intended as a proper trials version. The 250 is much better.

• Like 2

My recollection is that the 250 bultacos of about 1975 - the models with the close fitting rather than rounded primary drive case, were some of the nicest to ride bikes ever made. I never rode a 175 myself but remember them getting poor reviews and no match for the Cota 200.

I agree with mike 350. I had a grey import 1979 325 with the blue plastic tank, brilliant bike.

• 3 years later...

The 175cc Bultaco came in different versions:

- trials version for the teenagers from 16 - 18 years,
- the named rental bikes with double seat and lights,
- for public service,

I had a 175cc Sherpa too, the 175cc shares indeed very much with the 182 /190 but was blue and had the possibility to mount the gear lever on either side which came to our country first with the 198/199 model.

The engine was a bit strange, massive amount of flywheel weight made him slow but super smooth, sadly without grunt. It was a task to lift the front wheel. The bike performed best in slippery conditions with narrow sections.

For power you had to turn the throttle wide open in advance, all in all the 250cc has much more grunt.

56LGLS5TyEZpwd6FRfRchOGO-f0DCLwD1MkgsZxl

• Like 3

• 2 years later...
On 12/31/2017 at 12:48 AM, pschrauber said:

The 175cc Bultaco came in different versions:

- trials version for the teenagers from 16 - 18 years,
- the named rental bikes with double seat and lights,
- for public service,

I had a 175cc Sherpa too, the 175cc shares indeed very much with the 182 /190 but was blue and had the possibility to mount the gear lever on either side which came to our country first with the 198/199 model.

The engine was a bit strange, massive amount of flywheel weight made him slow but super smooth, sadly without grunt. It was a task to lift the front wheel. The bike performed best in slippery conditions with narrow sections.

For power you had to turn the throttle wide open in advance, all in all the 250cc has much more grunt.

56LGLS5TyEZpwd6FRfRchOGO-f0DCLwD1MkgsZxl

Total agree with you I ride the 175, 250 and 350 Sherpa the 175 is a more gentle bike that's very capable in the right hands, the 250 is my favourite and the 350 would be my second choice, the 350 can be ridden like the 250 but give too much throttle and you will know about it for sure.