4Rt Gearbox Oil - Elf Htx 740

4ourtea

Right - I was called this afternoon to advise which oil a mate should put in his 4RT gearbox. I have used Elf HTX 740 in all my Monts and never had any problems and plan to continue using it.

However, there now seems to be a supply problem especially since BVM's departure from here in West Country. I always bought it there. I have had quick scout on the internet and only found two suppliers:

Splat Shop - out of stock

WP Racing - you have to buy a box of 18 x 1 litre bottles for £378 (inc. VAT) + delivery, which is bl++dy expensive!

Question: who else has ELF HTX 740 for sale in the trials world at a sensible price? B & B , M Sport (Munch), ???

I have changed from ELF HTX 740 to GRO Gear Extreme 75W and it as good, maybe even better.

Maybe it's better available where you live...

I have always stuck with Elf HTX 740 having read of the many problems people have experienced when changing to alternatives.

Don't know the GRO product, but most 75W or 90W products are a heavy weight gear oil and used in straight gearbox applications with no clutch in the fluid. The Elf product is like light hydraulic oil or auto transmission fluid. I would not have thought that a 75W oil would have been anywhere near suitable.

I have always stuck with Elf HTX 740 having read of the many problems people have experienced when changing to alternatives.

Don't know the GRO product, but most 75W or 90W products are a heavy weight gear oil and used in straight gearbox applications with no clutch in the fluid. The Elf product is like light hydraulic oil or auto transmission fluid. I would not have thought that a 75W oil would have been anywhere near suitable.

Hi OZ, what type problems have you heard of with people not using the ELF in the Montesa. The 75w Belray is what I have used in Scorpa, Gas Gas and now Ossa and have been very pleased with it, no problems. All these bikes have this as the clutch bath. I have only now been advised to try an ATF in my Ossa but with a little extra volume.

Sorry, I forgot to mention but the GRO is a light gear oil exactly like the ELF (They are both 75W oils but can't be compared to the heavy 75W140, 90w or 80W90 gearbox oils)

ELF: http://www.nkp-karting.com/uploads/products/files/HTX%20740%20EN.pdf

GRO: http://www.globalracingoil.co.uk/gear_extrem_75w

Edited by guys

Sorry, I forgot to mention but the GRO is a light gear oil exactly like the ELF (They are both 75W oils but can't be compared to the heavy 75W140, 90w or 80W90 gearbox oils)

ELF: http://www.nkp-karting.com/uploads/products/files/HTX%20740%20EN.pdf

GRO: http://www.globalracingoil.co.uk/gear_extrem_75w

Thanks for the info Guys, I am now even more confused as the HTX 740 spec says should not be used for immersed clutch??? Obviously there is a different rating system used for gearbox oils, as you say a 75w gearbox oil as supplied for general automotive use is a high viscosty fluid, neither of these oils are.

Hi OZ, what type problems have you heard of with people not using the ELF in the Montesa. The 75w Belray is what I have used in Scorpa, Gas Gas and now Ossa and have been very pleased with it, no problems. All these bikes have this as the clutch bath. I have only now been advised to try an ATF in my Ossa but with a little extra volume.

Hi Stevo, as noted I have always used Elf HTX as that is the manual recommendation, the problems I referred to with Non Elf oils was only what I had read on this forum, particularly in the early years of the 4RT when people were complaining about excessive clutch drag when using other products. I am sure there is nothing unique about the Elf HTX.

Thanks for the info Guys, I am now even more confused as the HTX 740 spec says should not be used for immersed clutch??? Obviously there is a different rating system used for gearbox oils, as you say a 75w gearbox oil as supplied for general automotive use is a high viscosty fluid, neither of these oils are.

I know this is confusing, but don't worry, it works fine and doesn't have any negative effect on the clutch...

I have just changed my oil and as it already had ATF in it, I used the same again.

No problems so far :)

I encountered a simialr problem in finding the ELF oil for my 315R so I did some research and as others posted the ELF is a very thin synthetic gear oil; not recomended by ELF for wet clutches but recommended by Montesa. Go figure!

Here is the thread http://www.trialscentral.com/forums/topic/44648-315r-clutch-oil-and-baad-drag/

Go to post #15 for the latest list of possible oils. You will see the Gro 75W as thinner than the ELF.