Beta Tr32 Experts?

blackdog

I have a TR32 I've been working on. I have a few questions. Where is the best place to source parts? How many were imported to the US? When did beta start importing bikes to the US? What Betas were best known for their accomplishments?

I've never owned a Trials bike and need to know more. I've been riding dual sports and adventure bikes for years. Thanks!

'84 or '85 I think. '86 was the Tr33 which was basically the same bike with a front disk. '87 was the TR34 with smaller frame and disk brakes at both ends and tubless rear tire. Back when your TR32 was imported the importer was Cosmopolitan Motors in Pennsylvania. Later bikes were imported by Ron Commo in Vermont and the new bikes are brought in by American Beta in California. What I've been told is if 200 were sold in a year it was considered a good year.

Beta won many world championships with Jordi Tarres and Dougie Lampkin and many US championships. The TR32 is a far cry from the current crop of trials bikes but you can still have a lot of fun on it.

As for sourcing parts that's a big question for a bike that old and I don't have a good answer for you.

Sadly Beta have not many parts of the air cooled mono series TR32 - TR 34 left. There are some parts between the TR 32 to TR 33 that are interchangeable.

So at first I would in your situation call up a BETA Dealer about the parts you need, still some are available.

For the remaining rest a good resource is in Europe the national E-Bay sections and Craiglists like LeBonCoin and Subito, especially in Italy, France, ... in this order.

With the first TR34 model Jordi Tarres began his world champion winning series started in 1987 on a TR34, then again in 1989, (as 1988 was won by Michaud if I remember right)

1990 and 1991 on a Beta TR34, then 35 later Zero model, (which he - as I read - personal did not like so much!).

'84 or '85 I think. '86 was the Tr33 which was basically the same bike with a front disk. '87 was the TR34 with smaller frame and disk brakes at both ends and tubless rear tire. Back when your TR32 was imported the importer was Cosmopolitan Motors in Pennsylvania. Later bikes were imported by Ron Commo in Vermont and the new bikes are brought in by American Beta in California. What I've been told is if 200 were sold in a year it was considered a good year.

Beta won many world championships with Jordi Tarres and Dougie Lampkin and many US championships. The TR32 is a far cry from the current crop of trials bikes but you can still have a lot of fun on it.

As for sourcing parts that's a big question for a bike that old and I don't have a good answer for you.

I have sourced some parts from Italy and from the Beta factory itself. I have exhausted my US resources. From my limited experience I think that perhaps 10 or 20 made it to our shores, I don't think there's anyway to tell for sure. My bike also has the factory road kit so it's legal to ride on the street, even has a plate. Now that it's complete and running well I'm reluctant to ride it much because if I broke it that would be the end of the line.

3f0190bdeddbca0763b3117db33e4e34_zps65db

Most of all the parts you would wear out and need are not unique to the model. Some of the engines were used later even when the water cooled bikes came out in models that were not intended for competition but as play/practice/trail bikes. I am not an expert on those but I assume some parts are interchangeable. Bearings and seals have measurements and can be obtained from a good local shop. Pistons and rings can come from the few manufacturers that still make pistons and rings for just about anything. I'd try Wossner before anyone else.

Beta in UK in my experience has been more helpful and knowledgeable than even Italian parts sources. (maybe there is a language barrier but I run into quick dead ends)

For everything else you can improvise some. As reliability goes, my Beta has been more reliable than any Japanese 2stroke I ever owned. This alone should tell you enough that if the bike runs well keep running it. Letting idle for long will eventually cause a problem.

• 3 years later...

Blackdog, I'm in the same boat. I have Scott Heads ( US trials champ in 85 ) 1985 factory TR32 (one of 3 he used) but I broke the kick starter shaft and can't find a replacement anywhere.

Good luck with your build. If anyone can direct me to a source that would be great!  ~Bill Fahringer

• 3 months later...