2011 Sherco Driving Me Insane!

blackpoolsherco

I just seem to be having one problem after another at the moment with my bike! Iv just had gaskets and seals replaced because it was hunting and high revving! Now I took it out and it was running fine for two hours then the revs started going sky high again! I adjusted the throttle cable and it seemed to have sorted it and restored bike to normal running order but then started cutting out and wouldn't restart unless I put the choke on and I have to leave it on in order to ride the bike?? If I turn choke off it cuts out instantly?!?! I let the bike cool down and it started normally again and ran with the choke off? What could be the cause of all this?

Check crankcase is not leaking by making up a fitting for the exhaust hole with a tubeless valve in it. Either blank off the inlet or seal the reeds with grease and pressurise to 5 or 7 PSI. Pressure should not drop.

Rebuild carburettor and rig up a separate fuel supply above the carb rather than normal tank.

Stator plate or flywheel loose?

Agree with doing a pressure test but pressurise from the carb end to include the intake manifold as these are known to leak where the fuel pump opperating hose comes off from, also leaks around the mounting face where they bolt up to the reed cage. No point in chasing any thing else until you know for sure that intake, crankcase and exhaust are air tight.

It does sound like a clogged carburetor but on 2 strokes I always start with a new spark plug. My buddies 2012 Sherco started acting up at the last trial. After he played around with the carb for about 15 minutes, we switched the plug and it immediately ran perfect.

Playing around with the carb wont solve a potential problem, Time and patience should be taken when cleaning the carb out properly , use a airline and carb/brake cleaner in the main jet and idle jet . . . I guarentee this is the problem here my sherco does exactly the same if theres something in there that shouldnt be

Playing around with the carb wont solve a potential problem, Time and patience should be taken when cleaning the carb out properly , use a airline and carb/brake cleaner in the main jet and idle jet . . . I guarentee this is the problem here my sherco does exactly the same if theres something in there that shouldnt be

When you are 30 minutes before the start of an event, in below freezing temp with snow and ice on the ground, and the bike suddenly acts up its hardly time to tear into a carb. The symptoms did not point to a bad plug. It started fine and would run at higher rpm but not idle. So it seemed like a clogged idle jet. Sometimes tweaking the idle screw will clear it, and if not, raising the idle can make the bike at least rideable if not ideal for trials. That's what I meant by "playing with the carb."

If we had been at the shop, we would have torn that carb off and gone through it completely with solvent and airlines. Probably twice. That would have not solved the problem at all because it was not a fuel supply problem.

With about 5 minutes to go, we put in a new plug and Boom, fixed!

I always carry a spare, new plug and tools to change it. You just never know when a plug will fiul and it is one of the easiest things to change on the trail.