Telford Show.

jon v8

More if you want them!

Yes please!

Thanks to all for the pics posted, but for those of us on the other side of the planet who can only wish they could be there, we'd love to see plenty more. Great bikes to feast the eyes on!

More photos? How about a Drayton Villiers 8E/4. Engines are cheap to buy (4 speed gearboxes not) but could be a way forward.

post-332-0-87075200-1393754561_thumb.jpg

Here's something unusual. A Tandon Imp in original Tandon road bike colours converted for trials use for £2,300 - not a Kangaroo but shows what can be done!

post-332-0-11212100-1393755157_thumb.jpg

How about a plunger DMW 8E/4? What class would that go in? Almost but not quite a rigid!

post-332-0-84285000-1393755453_thumb.jpg

Or Alan Whitton's Bantam rolling chassis

post-332-0-79390300-1393754706_thumb.jpg

The disc braked Cheetah. Couldn't add it to the Cheetah item for some unknown reason.

post-332-0-89558500-1393755568_thumb.jpg

How about Matt Chamber's 1996 Pre65 Scottish winning Cub? Advanced for it's day - complete with hydraulic clutch lever! The almost standard James ridden by Roger Williams to win the 1998 Pre65 Scottish beyond it.

post-332-0-62640500-1393755723_thumb.jpg

And finally from me - wish there were more of these in use. A beautiful Goldie rigid. Too nice to risk? Probably but Graham Howes campaigns his all over the country. Fair play.

post-332-0-48427200-1393756385_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

I spent a bit of time looking at that Cub it was certainly not very standard particularly when compared to the James standing near to it.

There is no oil tank or oil in frame so presumably the gearbox oil gets pumped around. The rear of the side cases have been shortened and squared off behind the kickstart lever for some reason.

The frame appeared to be very altered from Triumph spec too.

The James standing behind it which I believe was ridden by Roger Williamson is so standard with the 197 type frame and early James forks. Clearly the most important component is the rider as always.

To be fair to Matt Chambers, he has ridden the Cub since in several modern trials and gives it everything so the dented tank is excusable.

With a nice new tank it would look fine. The gearbox will no doubt be the engine oil reservoir in common with a few other very trick Cubs.

The frame does at least retain the swan neck although the under engine tube has been slimmed somewhat and the curtailed subframe loop seems to be a common change these days. So not too trick in that department.

The machine eligibility rules for the pre65 Scottish have changed quite a lot since 1996.

Here's a photo of the other side.

post-332-0-75163200-1393795636_thumb.jpg

Edited by stickinthemud
  • Like 2

Did anyone get a photo of the Bantam trials bike which was shown on Saturday? It had a large diameter frame top tube with the engine suspended from it attached by the cylinder head.

There was just so much of interest, it is only now a few days later that you remember some of the things on display.

Hi, nice someone noticed this Bantam. My dad built this when worked at BSA. Told me a million stories of building it and all the engine work. Also about the trials he did. I was lucky to ride it in trials as a schoolboy. Fair do's, the chap who has it now cleaned it up nicely.

• Like 1

I didn't remember it looking like that, if your dad is Norman? I remember Norman riding a Bantam in the 70s, he came over to the quarry sometimes that we used to ride in as kids which is now the golf range and Asda on Queslett road. I went to a couple of trials with them as well, as my mate at the time worked at the shop as an apprentice.

I can only remember it as having an alloy tank with orange stripe across it - but it was a long time ago...

Woody, yes my dad's Norman, it did have an alloy tank with stripe on, i prefered it to that one. He made this one because it was more like the original one when he first built it. I used to go down the quarry with my dad in the 80's, great place, shame its gone. I'll mention you to my dad, (message me your name) I've been trying to get him to ride! I've just started in trials again, had enough of road racing!

My memory is not so bad then...

My name is Dave Wood but your dad won't know me, I only saw him those few times he came over to the quarry and a couple of times when we went in the van to a trial, sitting in the back on the wheelarches... this would have been '76 and '77. Plus a few times at the shop around the same time when my mate Neil was working there as apprentice. When they had that crazy dog that chased cars down Slade Road.

I actually saw more of Roy as he was a member of my club at that time, Sutton Town, in the 80s. I doubt Roy would know me by name but he might still recognise me. Last time I saw him was when he MOT'd my TYZ about 10 or 12 years ago

If you're at the AMCA trial this Sunday, I'll be there on my Bultaco or Ossa MAR.